FAQs, Forms, & Useful Links

Admitted Student Questions

Congratulations, now what? We have all been there...Your excitement of college acceptance may be clouded by some anxiety about embarking on a whole new journey, literally and figuratively. If you still cannot find the answer to your question, please contact us at international@usf.edu or +1 813-974-8884.

Q: Do graduate students need to pay an enrollment deposit?

A: No, graduate students are not required to pay enrollment deposits to secure their space in the term at USF. If you are applying for housing, however, you will still be responsible for the housing deposit.

Q: How do I get my I-20?

A: Documentation of available funds for a full academic year or two semesters, including tuition, fees, and living expenses is required before the University of South Florida can issue you an I-20 or DS-2019. Therefore, we encourage you to submit your financial documents during the application process. If you do not, your application will still be processed, but your I-20 or DS-2019 will not be issued until you have provided sufficient evidence of financial support.

If you have already been admitted to a degree program at USF, please go to iStart to upload your financial documents now.

Q: Do I qualify as a Florida Resident for Tuition Purposes?

A: Residency refers to whether you are an in-state Florida resident or an out-of-state resident, and this classification determines your rate of tuition. Florida State Statute Section 1009.21 defines the requirements for a student to be classified as an in-state resident for tuition purposes. Most importantly: Living in or attending school in Florida will not, in itself, establish legal residence for tuition purposes.

Certain students may qualify for in-state tuition based on meeting specific exception requirements set by the State.
To claim Florida residency for tuition purposes, you will need to complete and submit a Residency Affidavit and all supporting documentation to the Office of Admissions before the first week of classes for your desired term of entry. Failure to submit sufficient documentation in a timely manner can result in being charged out of state tuition and fees.

Q: When can I arrive to begin school at USF?

A: F-1 and J-1 students may enter the US up to 30 days prior to the first day of the semester. If you are living on campus, you can move in early for the Fall 2014 semester as early at August 17th at 10:00 AM. The official move-in day is August 21st; for each day you star before August 21st you will be charged a daily rate of US$25 (regardless of room type).

Q: Can I arrive after classes begin?

A: Students must report to the university by the first day of the semester. If you are unable to report by the first day of the semester, you will need to defer your admission to the next available term.

Q: I need to defer my admission. How can I do this?

A: If you need to defer your admission, you must contact their program directly and request a Deferment of Admission. This request must be made in writing within 12 months of the initial requested entry date. If a request for deferment of admission is not received within 12 months, a new application and fee must be submitted. Deferment requests must also be received no later than the program or University application deadline for the semester desired, whichever is earlier. Students who were admitted provisionally upon receipt of official test scores and/or transcripts must supply those missing items prior to having their deferment decision processed by the Office of Admissions.

Q: How do I pay my tuition?

A: Full payment of tuition is due by the fifth day of classes after which a student's enrollment is cancelled if payment is not made. Students do not receive a formal bill but can access their bill using the OASIS account. Payment to the University is made via online credit/debit card or eCheck, via mail by check or money order, by online wire transfer with peerTransfer, or in person by check or cash. For complete details got the USF Cashier's FAQ page.

If your bill is paid by an outside agency (government sponsor or other third party sponsor), be sure your scholarship agency notifies the University in advance by letter stating the amount and length of time of the award and whom to bill for tuition. Keep the original copy in case the immigration officer at the port-of-entry or the University Cashier's Office requests it.