FAQs, Forms, & Useful Links

Admitted Student Questions

Congratulations, now what? We have all been there...Your excitement of college acceptance may be clouded by some anxiety about embarking on a whole new journey, literally and figuratively. If you still cannot find the answer to your question, please contact us at international@usf.edu or +1 813-974-8884.

Q: Can I earn credit from my exam scores?

A: USF allows students to receive up to 45 semester hours of credit towards the baccalaureate degree upon successful completion of Advanced Placement (AP), Advanced International Certificate of Education Program (AICE) and General Certificate of Education (GCE), International Baccalaureate (IB), General and Subject College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES, Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Exams (CAPE), German Abitur, Global Assessment Certificate (GAC) and Excelsior College examinations. Performance levels necessary to achieve credit have been established and are listed on this site by exam. Credit earned through one examination program may not be duplicated by another examination or course.

Q: Do transfer students need to pay an enrollment deposit?

A: No, transfer students are not required to pay enrollment deposits to secure their space in the term at USF. If you are applying for housing, however, you will still be responsible for the housing deposit.

Q: I have received a scholarship. How do I accept it?

A: Congratulations! Be sure to complete the following steps to accept your award:

Please note that you must accept your scholarship(s) in order to receive it. Accepting your scholarship(s) is not a binding commitment to attend USF.

Q: How do I get my I-20?

A: Documentation of available funds for a full academic year or two semesters, including tuition, fees, and living expenses is required before the University of South Florida can issue you an I-20 or DS-2019. Therefore, we encourage you to submit your financial documents during the application process. If you do not, your application will still be processed, but your I-20 or DS-2019 will not be issued until you have provided sufficient evidence of financial support.

If you have already been admitted to a degree program at USF, please go to iStart to upload your financial documents now.

Q: Do I qualify as a Florida Resident for Tuition Purposes?

A: Residency refers to whether you are an in-state Florida resident or an out-of-state resident, and this classification determines your rate of tuition. Florida State Statute Section 1009.21 defines the requirements for a student to be classified as an in-state resident for tuition purposes. Most importantly: Living in or attending school in Florida will not, in itself, establish legal residence for tuition purposes.

Certain students may qualify for in-state tuition based on meeting specific exception requirements set by the State.
To claim Florida residency for tuition purposes, you will need to complete and submit a Residency Affidavit and all supporting documentation to the Office of Admissions before the first week of classes for your desired term of entry. Failure to submit sufficient documentation in a timely manner can result in being charged out of state tuition and fees.

Q: When can I arrive to begin school at USF?

A: F-1 and J-1 students may enter the US up to 30 days prior to the first day of the semester. You must be at USF to attend the Transfer Orientation on Wednesday, August 13th. If you are living on campus, you can move in early for the Fall 2014 semester as early at August 17th at 10AM. The official move-in day is August 21st; for each day you star before August 21st you will be charged a daily rate of US$25 (regardless of room type).

Q: Can I arrive after classes begin?

A: Students must report to the university by the first day of the semester. If you are unable to report by the first day of the semester, you will need to defer your admission to the next available term.

Q: I need to defer my admission. How can I do this?

A: You can defer your admission for up to one year after your originally requested term of entry. To do so, please fill out and submit the Application Update Form with your desired entry term. Please note that we cannot guarantee that you will receive any awarded scholarships for your updated entry term.

Q: How can I change my major?

A: To change your major before you have attended Orientation, you will need to fill out and submit the Application Update Form with your new major of choice. If you have already attended Orientation, you will need to go to your current college advising office to determine what their procedures for changing your major are, and then tell them you would like to change your major and ask them to send your paperwork to the new program of your choice.

Q: How do I pay my tuition?

A: Full payment of tuition is due by the fifth day of classes after which a student's enrollment is cancelled if payment is not made. Students do not receive a formal bill but can access their bill using the OASIS account. Payment to the University is made via online credit/debit card or eCheck, via mail by check or money order, by online wire transfer with peerTransfer, or in person by check or cash. For complete details got the USF Cashier's FAQ page.

If your bill is paid by an outside agency (government sponsor or other third party sponsor), be sure your scholarship agency notifies the University in advance by letter stating the amount and length of time of the award and whom to bill for tuition. Keep the original copy in case the immigration officer at the port-of-entry or the University Cashier's Office requests it.