Policies and Procedures
The online Faculty Handbook, maintained by the Office of the Provost, contains links to important regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines (including the collective bargaining agreement) at USF. There are also sections on evaluations, tenure, instructional policies, and sabbaticals.
Instructional Resource Guide
The online Instructional Resource Guide, prepared by the Online Faculty Development and the Academy for Teaching and Learning Excellence, provides an introduction to the instructional resources and academic support services available to faculty and graduate teaching assistants at USF.
Individual Colleges often have their own rules, policies, and governance documents:
Arts & Science
- Faculty Affairs: http://www.cas.usf.edu/facultyaffairs/schoolgov/
Behavioral & Community Science
- Faculty Governance: http://intra.cbcs.usf.edu/FacultyGovernance/
- Faculty Governance Document: http://intra.cbcs.usf.edu/common/file/BCSGovernance.pdf
- Faculty Charter: http://www.usf.edu/business/documents/about/faculty-charter.pdf
- Faculty Policies: http://www.usf.edu/business/about/index.aspx
- Constitution: http://www.coedu.usf.edu/main/cc/documents/FacultyConstitutionRatifiedApril2013.pdf
- Faculty Council info: http://www.coedu.usf.edu/main/cc/cc.html
- Staff Council: http://www.eng.usf.edu/about/facultyAndStaff/facultyAndStaff.htm
- Faculty By-laws: http://www.eng.usf.edu/about/facultyAndStaff/docs/Bylaws_Draft_rev3.pdf
- Faculty Governance Document: http://www.marine.usf.edu/documents/college-governance-of-usf-college-of-marine-science-june-05-2013.pdf
- Faculty By-laws: http://www.hsc.usf.edu/medicine/facultybylaws/index.htm
- Faculty Council: http://www.hsc.usf.edu/medicine/faculty_council/index.htm
- Faculty By-laws: http://health.usf.edu/nocms/nursing/docs/Bylaws.pdf
- Faculty Governance Manual: http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/facultyaffairs/pdf/Gov%20Man.pdf
- Faculty Assembly: http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/facultyaffairs/facultyassembly.htm
- Unit Governance: http://www.arts.usf.edu/content/templates/?a=382&z=54
USF Policy Index
The USF Policy Index, maintained by the Office of the General Council, includes policies and guidelines in the administration, operation, and management of the various programs, services, facilities, and activities of the USF system.
Personal Relationships with Students
USF Policy 1-022 provides detailed information on university guidelines for consensual relationships.
The purpose of the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) is to identify the rights students have pertaining to their educational records. FERPA affords students the right to review their educational records, seek to have their records amended, and control the disclosure of information from their records. USF's FERPA page provides a detailed tutorial.
The USF Library offers a Copyright LibGuide that provides information on copyright and issues pertaining to copyrighted material.
The fair use exception to the current copyright laws permits the reproduction of portions of copyrighted works without the owner's permission. Section 107 of the Fair Use Doctrine lists the following purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair: criticism, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Visit the USF Library's Fair Use page for more information.
Faculty & Students with Disabilities Services (SDS)
The University of South Florida is committed to providing equal access to students with disabilities. SDS strives to create partnerships with faculty and staff to promote self-advocacy, accessible education, and appreciation of varied abilities at USF. Information about classrooms, course load, exams, and other accommodations can be found on the SDS website or by contacting SDS at (813) 974-4309 or email@example.com. See the SDS Faculty & Staff Handbook for more information about SDS, American with Disabilities Act, and instructor responsibilities.
USF has enacted a system of grading and policies of Academic Probation and Academic Dismissal to make students aware of their academic progress.
USF Information Technology (IT) maintains the policies and standards held by the university. IT also provides technology support for MyUSF, email accounts, connecting from home, and work orders. IT can be reached at (813) 974-1222 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
USF considers any form of cheating on examinations or plagiarism on assigned papers to be unacceptable deceit and dishonesty. USF Academic Dishonesty policy defines plagiarism and cheating and explains punishment guidelines.
The Registrar's Office at USF provides access to academic calendars.
In an emergency, dial 911 to reach USF Police (their non-emergency number 813-974-2628). The USF Instructional Resource Guide provides answers and suggestions for dealing with classroom emergencies. The Faculty & Staff Emergency Reference Guide outlines how to help students with guidance and advice, behavioral concerns, and immediate action. It also provides phone numbers and office locations.
EthicsPoint hotline is a third-party hosted hotline to enable the safe, secure, and anonymous reporting of activities which may involve misconduct, fraud, abuse, and other violations of USF policies.