Cardholder Training Part 5
Part 5: Competitive Quotes | Best Practices | PCard Charge Reconciliation | Travel Purchases | Purchasing from a Minority Business Enterprise
- Formal written price quotes are not required for the purchase of commodities, goods, or services amounting to less than $5,000. However, verbal quotes must be documented.
- The purchase of commodities, goods or services with a value greater than or equal to $5,000 and less than $25,000 must have quotations either verbal or written; verbal quotes must be documented in requisition. At least two (2) quotes are required.
- The purchase of commodities, goods or services with a value greater than or equal to $25,000 and less than $75,000 requires at least three (3) written quotations.
- All items purchased on PCard should be shipped to the cardholder's USF system address.
- Always ask questions if you are in doubt about a purchase.
- Always request a limit increase if the cost of an item(s) is higher than your transaction limits.
- Always notify PCard Services if switching departments or leaving USF.
- Original copies of PCard receipts should be retained by department for five years.
- Receipts for charges paid from grants, should be retained for five years after final reporting of the grant.
- PCard travel receipts follow the travel department receipts retention policy.
- Vendors should not charge PCard until an item ships.
- Contact vendor with any questions.
PCard Charge Reconciliation
- PCard Module
- Should be approved within 7 days.
- Once approved, any budget errors should be corrected/ responded to, which ensures the charges hit the ledgers timely.
- Receipts are submitted along with the signed Activity Statements.
- Travel Module
- Should be associated with approved Travel Authorization within 7 days (can be reassigned to traveler's wallet in same step, if necessary).
- Once travel has occurred, all charges should be pulled into the Expense Report and submitted to travel within 30 days of the last day of Travel.
- Receipts are submitted with Receipt Package for Expense Report.
Travel Related Information
- Food: when traveling on university business food must be paid for out of pocket (statutory
meal allowance is paid)
- Exception: PCard can be used to pay for conference registration for events that include meals.
- Gasoline: can only be paid on PCard for state vehicles and rentals, not when using a personal vehicle for university business
- Travel training: for additional information, travel department conducts two forms of travel training:(both
are available for sign-up through GEMS self-service)
- FSTTR1: travel submission
- FSTTR2: travel rules and requirements
List of Allowable Travel Purchases
This information is only for Cardholders who have been authorized to make Travel purchases with their PCard. The PCard is intended for use by USF System travelers for USF System official business. The following are allowable PCard Travel Expenses. Note: For more specific guidelines about travel and travel expenses, please consult the USF Travel website.
- Airfare: Your PCard may be used to purchase a coach class airline ticket. Your PCard may be
used to pay for a non-cardholder as long as it is for official USF business; however,
the purchase of airline tickets for a traveler's spouse or companion is NOT ALLOWED
- If you are booking multiple tickets, ask for separate transactions for each traveler
- Remember: Get an itemized itinerary, including cost, to your Reconciler within three (3) days of booking the ticket
- Business Phone calls: for an authorized hotel stay are an allowable PCard expense
- Hotel Room (USF Official Business, single occupancy): When you make your hotel reservations AND when you check in, it is important to tell
the hotel to separate hotel room charges from personal charges. Your PCard can ONLY
be used for official business charges
- If your hotel is in the State of Florida, remember to present them with a hard copy of the Tax Exempt Certificate
- If the hotel is outside of the State of Florida, your PCard will pay the state sales tax. Any personal charges such as meals, phone calls, in-room movies, etc., MUST be charged to your personal credit card
- Car Rental: If renting a car in the State of Florida, remember USF is exempt from sales tax. See the USF Travel website for detailed information about car rental
- Gasoline: A gasoline purchase is an allowable PCard expense for a rental car or a USF System-owned vehicle only. In either case, the license tag number of the vehicle must be written on the PCard receipt
- Parking: is only allowable for USF System business away from USF
- Examples of allowable PCard parking charges include:
- airport parking (short and long-term)
- conference, convention, and/or hotel parking
- Examples of allowable PCard parking charges include:
- Transportation: Allowable transportation-related PCard charges include:
- roadway tolls
- cost of shuttles to and from the airport
- fares for buses, subways, taxis and trolleys
- Registration Fees: for conferences, conventions, seminars and other events may be paid with your PCard
- See the USF Travel website for important information about procedures for paying registration fees
Purchasing from a Minority Business Enterprise
USF encourages supplier diversity in purchases that promote competitive pricing, quality products, and customer service. When planning a purchase from a minority business enterprise, contact PCard Administrator in the Purchasing Services Department.