Data Administration & State Reporting
Performance Based Funding
The Florida Board of Governors (BOG), authorized to manage the State University System, developed a Performance-Based Funding Model that includes 10 metrics to evaluate the State's 12 public universities on a range of important issues. Institutions are evaluated on a 100 point scale on either Excellence or Improvement for each metric. To ensure each university is striving to excel and improve on key metrics, new state funding and an amount of the base state funding reallocated are tied to metric outcomes.
The metrics below are based on the data that universities submit to the State University System Florida Board of Governors as part of the State University Database System (SUDS) file submissions.
- Metric 1: Percent of Bachelor's Graduates Employed and/or Continuing their Education
- Metric 2: Median Wages of Bachelor's Graduates Employed Full-time in Florida
- Metric 3: Cost to Student
- Metric 4: Six Year Graduation Rate
- Metric 5: Academic Progress Rate
- Metric 6: Bachelor's Degrees Awarded in Areas of Strategic Emphasis
- Metric 7: University Access Rate
- Metric 8: Graduate Degrees Awarded in Areas of Strategic Emphasis
- Metric 9: Board of Governors Choice – (USF - Excess Hours)
- Metric 10: Board of Trustees Choice – (USF - Postdoctoral Appointees)
SUDS Data Elements
The State University Database System (SUDS) contains over 400 data elements about students, faculty and programs at SUS institutions. Listed below is a summary of SUDS data elements used in the Performance-Based Funding (PBF) Model.
The documents below provide details about the data processes and methodology used to produce the Performance Based Funding Metric.
- Post-Graduation Data (Metric: 1, 2 / File: SIFD)
- Cost to Student (Metric: 3 / File: SIF, SFA, HTD)
- Retention and Graduation Rates (Metric: 4, 5 / File: SIF, SIFD, RET)
- Percentage of Degrees in Programs of Strategic Emphasis (Metric: 6, 8 / File: SIFD)
- University Access Rate (Metric: 7 / File: SIF, SFA)
- Percent of Bachelor's Degrees Awarded Without Excess Hours (Metric: 9 / File: HTD)
Data Integrity Process
The integrity of data provided to the Board of Governors is critical to the Performance-Based Funding (PBF) decision-making process. To provide assurance that the data submitted for this process is reliable, accurate, and complete, the Board of Governors developed a Data Integrity Certification process.
The Data Integrity Certification process requires the university board of trustees to direct the university's Chief Audit Executive to perform an audit of the university's processes and internal controls which ensure the completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of data submissions to the Board of Governors.
The scope and objectives of the audit are set jointly by the Chair of the University of South Florida Board of Trustees, the Finance & Audit Workgroup via its Audit Liaison, and the university's Chief Audit Executive. The audit is performed in accordance with the current International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing as published by the Institute of Internal Auditors, Inc.
The results of the audit report are presented to the Board of Trustees. The audit report would include a corrective action plan, designed to correct any audit findings, if applicable.
The audit report provides an objective basis of support for the President and Board of Trustees Chair to sign the representations included in the Performance-Based Funding - Data Integrity Certification.
The Performance-Based Funding Data Integrity Audit and Certification are then submitted to the Board of Governors Office of Inspector General and Director of Compliance.
USF Performance Based Funding Audits and Certifications