Part of the Information Systems Decision Sciences Department, associate professor Don Berndt is an educator whose areas of expertise include data warehousing, data mining, text mining, health informatics, web analytics, web search, online advertising, information and prediction markets. He teaches courses on information systems, database management and design, and data mining.
His work on business intelligence and the role of data in effective bioterrorism surveillance systems was published in Decision Support Systems: Special Issue on Cybersecurity for Homeland Security. Other papers have been published journals such as the American Journal of Preventive Medicine and Journal of Computer Information Systems. A frequent presenter at academic conferences, Berndt also coauthors for computer science textbooks and serves as chief technology officer for a healthcare information management company.
His academic credentials include a doctorate from the Stern School of Business at New York University, an MS from SUNY Stony Brook, and a BS from the University of Rhode Island. Prior to joining USF, he was an instructor and lecturer at SUNY Stony Brook and New York University. He was also a research programmer for Yale University.
- ISM 6218 - Database Warehousing
- ISM 6218 - Advanced Database Administration
- ISM 7911 - Seminar on Technical IT Research
- J. McCart, D. Finch, J. Jarman, E. Hickling, J. Lind, M. Richardson, D. Berndt and S. Luther, "Using Ensemble Models to Classify the Sentiment Expressed in Suicide Notes," Biomedical Informatics Insights Journal, 5(Supplement 1): 77-85, 2012 (doi: 10.4137/BII.S8931).
- S. Luther, D. Berndt, D. Finch, M. Richardson, E. Hickling, D. Hickam, "Using Statistical Text Mining to Supplement the Development of an Ontology," Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 2011 (doi:10.1016/j.jbi.2011.11.001).
- K. N. Alhayyyan, R. W. Collins, J. L. Jones, and D. J. Berndt, "Economic Culture and Prediction Markets," Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, 9(6): 69-74, 2011. Journal: http://www.iiisci.org/Journal/SCI/ .