Dipayan Biswas, an associate professor in the Marketing Department, teaches undergraduate-level course in basic marketing, graduate-level courses in brand management, and a PhD-level course in sensory and experiential aspects of marketing.
His key research interests include sensory marketing, experiential aspects of product/brand usage, and retail atmospherics. Several of his research projects focus on consumption related to food, beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), and fragrances.
His research has been published/forthcoming in such journals, as the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Consumer Psychology, and OBHDP, among others. Biswas is associate editor of the European Journal of Marketing and is on the editorial review boards of the Journal of Consumer Psychology (since 2012), Journal of Public Policy & Marketing (since 2012), and Journal of Business Research (2005-2012). He has been the principal investigator for a grant funded by the USDA (for $10,731) and a co-investigator for a grant funded jointly by the EPA and the NSF (for $181,851). In addition, for his research, he has received awards/grants from the American Marketing Association, Association for Consumer Research, Academy of Marketing Science, and Society for Marketing Advances.
He has been interviewed and/or his research covered in the media such as by the local affiliates of ABC News, CBS Channel 10 News, Fox 13 News, NBC Channel 8 News, the Tampa Bay Times, NPR, and German Magazine Der Spiegel, among others. Biswas has collaborated on research with several companies in the US and in France. He has also been invited to present his research at seminars at Yale University, New York University, Reims Management School (in France), and Tampere University of Technology (in Finland), among others.
Biswas earned a PhD degree in marketing from the University of California, Irvine, and an MBA degree from the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad.
- MAR 3023 - Basic Marketing
- MAR 3613 - Market Research
- MAR 6936 - Brand Management
- MAR 7931 - Sensory and Experiential Aspects of Marketing
- Biswas, Dipayan, Lauren Labrecque, Donald Lehmann, and Ereni Markos (2014), "Making Choices while Smelling, Tasting, and Listening: The Role of Sensory (Dis)similarity when Sequentially Sampling Products," Journal of Marketing, January, forthcoming.
- Biswas, Dipayan, Courtney Szocs, Aradhna Krishna, and Donald R. Lehmann (2014), "Something to Chew on: A Focus on Oral Haptics," Journal of Consumer Research, forthcoming.