Dipayan Biswas, a professor in the Marketing Department, teaches an undergraduate-level course in basic marketing, graduate-level courses in brand management, and a PhD-level course in sensory and experiential aspects of marketing.
His key research interests include sensory marketing (with focus on retail atmospherics, healthful consumption related to foods/beverages, and sensory aspects of brands), behavioral judgment & decision-making, and digital marketing. Several of his research projects focus on consumption related to food, beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), and scents.
His research has been published/forthcoming in the Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, and Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, among others. Biswas is currently area editor of Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science and also associate editor of Journal of Business Research. He has been editor of Journal of Consumer Marketing (2014-2016) and has been associate editor of European Journal of Marketing (2010-2014). He currently also serves on the Editorial Review Board of the Journal of Marketing.
He has been the principal investigator for a grant funded by the USDA (for $22,049) and a co-investigator for a grant funded jointly by the EPA and the NSF (for $181,851). In addition, for his research, he has received awards/grants from the Association for Consumer Research, American Marketing Association, Academy of Marketing Science, and Society for Marketing Advances.
His interviews and research have been featured extensively in the media, by over 100 media outlets, including the New York Times, ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox, NBC, NPR, BBC, US News & World Report, Daily Mail (UK), Scientific American magazine, Men's Health and Women's Health magazines, and the Tampa Bay Times, to name just a few. Biswas has collaborated on research with several companies in the US, Germany, Sweden, France, and India. He has also been invited to present his research at seminars at Cornell University, Yale University, New York University, Reims Management School (France), Bayreuth University (Germany), WU (Austria), Linnaeus University (Sweden), and Tampere University of Technology (Finland), among others.
Biswas earned a PhD degree in marketing from the University of California, Irvine, and an MBA degree from the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad.
- MAR 3023 - Basic Marketing
- MAR 3613 - Market Research
- MAR 6936 - Brand Management
- MAR 7931 - Sensory and Experiential Aspects of Marketing
- Biswas, Dipayan, Courtney Szocs, Brian Wansink, and Roger Chacko (2016), "Shining Light on Atmospherics: How Ambient Light Influences Food Choices," Journal of Marketing Research, forthcoming.
- Romero, Marisabel and Dipayan Biswas (2016), "Healthy-Left, Unhealthy-Right: Can Displaying Healthy Items to the Left (versus Right) of Unhealthy Items Nudge Healthier Choices?" Journal of Consumer Research, June, forthcoming.
- Biswas, Dipayan, Courtney Szocs, Aradhna Krishna, and Donald R. Lehmann (2014), "Something to Chew on: The Effects of Oral Haptics on Mastication, Orosensory Perception, and Calorie Estimation," Journal of Consumer Research, 41 (August), 261-273.
- Biswas, Dipayan, Lauren Labrecque, Donald Lehmann, and Ereni Markos (2014), "Making Choices while Smelling, Tasting, and Listening: The Role of Sensory (Dis)similarity when Sequentially Sampling Products," Journal of Marketing, 78 (1), 112-126.