Director, Center for Entrepreneurship,
John & Beverley Grant Endowed Chair in Entrepreneurship,
Professor, Industrial & Management Systems Engineering,
Professor, Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Medicine
Room: BSN 3331
Phone: (813) 974-7900
Fax: (813) 974-6175
Dr. Fountain currently serves as the Founding Director of the University of South Florida's (USF) Interdisciplinary, Cross-Campus Center for Entrepreneurship, where he directs the University-wide Undergraduate and Graduate programs in Entrepreneurship, the Interdisciplinary USF Graduate Certificate in Entrepreneurship and the Master of Science Degree in Entrepreneurship in Applied Technologies and graduate coursework in entrepreneurship for business and engineering students. He holds faculty appointments across the Colleges of Business, Medicine and Engineering. He also serves as an Entrepreneur-in-Residence at the USF Center for Advanced Medical Learning and Simulation (CAMLS). Under Dr. Fountain's direction, the Center for Entrepreneurship has developed national and international prominence as evidenced by top USASBE national awards and national rankings by Princeton Review as one of the nation's top graduate entrepreneurship education programs for the past 7 years. Dr. Fountain was honored as one of the top 100 business leaders in Tampa Bay by Tampa Bay CEO. He has served as the Director of the National Consortium for Life Sciences Entrepreneurship and as an Entrepreneur-in-Residence with the Kauffman Foundation. He served for the past 4 years as the Vice President for Development of USASBE and currently serves a member of its Board of Directors.
An expert in creating, financing, and growing biotechnological, medical device, and life science companies, Dr. Fountain founded or cofounded seven new ventures (three later publicly traded companies) and patented and commercialized numerous innovative medical and diagnostic products (including sustained release anti-cancer drugs, genetically engineered diagnostic products for autoimmune diseases, microencapsulated dermatologic products and vaccine products for prevention of human and animal infectious disease). He was a pioneer in the development and application of the use of phospholipids in micro- and nano-particle technologies for drug encapsulation. Dr. Fountain has been instrumental in the development and deploying of entrepreneurial programs on an international level. He has served as an Entrepreneur-in-Residence with the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation overseeing strategy, venture capital and private equity, and life sciences entrepreneurship.
Dr. Fountain received his Honors BS from Samford University, his MS and PhD from Auburn University and his MBA from Bristol University. In addition, he completed advanced studies in Education Theory at the University of South Florida.
- GEB 6930/EIN 6935 - Strategic Market Assessments for New Technologies
- GEB 6930/EIN 6935 - New Product Development
- GEB 6930 - Advanced Topics in Entrepreneurship
- Fountain, M, DeNoble, A. and Marshall,W. (2014) " The Integration of Entrepreneurship Educational Content into STEM Curricula" Proceeding of the annual 2014 USASBE National Meeting.
- Baker, W., Cadenhead, G., Dickson, P., Flock, Z, Fountain, M., Jones, E., Leigh, Tom, Lingard, J., Lusch, R., Noble, C., O'Donnell, M., Rindfleisch, A., Theroux, J. Business Education Transformation for America. Backbone Press LLC. Portsmouth, N.H. (2012) 1-36.
- Spangler, E., White, J., Kasti,M. and Fountain, M.W. 2012. Asset Mapping of a Major Research University Using Innovation Hub Modeling. Technology and Innovation (in press).
- Smith,A., Giunta, B., Bickford,P.C., Fountain, M., Tan,J., and Shytle, R.D. 2010 Nanolipidic Particles Improve the Bioavailability and Alpha-Secretase Inducing Ability of Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate (EGCG) for the Treatment of Alzheimer's Disease. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 389 (2010) 207-212..
- Executive Director, Tampa Bay Research and Innovation Center at the Center for Advanced Medical and Learning Simulation
- Boards of Directors: Intezyne Technologies, Inc., Tampa Bay Innovation Center, USF CONNECT
- Advisory Boards: USF Students in Free Enterprise, Nanosolutions, LLC., Transgenex DDS and Proteacel, LLC.
- Business and Scientific Advisor: Dermazone Solutions, Inc., NanoSolutions, LLC.
- Community Service Boards: Tampa Chamber of Commerce, BioFlorida, Hillsborough County Economic Development
- Research Advisory Board: Auburn University