An associate professor in the Lynn Pippenger School of Accountancy, Lisa Gaynor's primary teaching responsibilities are in the areas of auditing and financial accounting. She currently teaches intermediate financial accounting at the undergraduate level and the integrative (capstone) seminar in the master's program.
Her general research interests are auditing and financial reporting topics with a behavioral and decision making focus. More specifically, her research examines how individuals' (e.g., investors', auditors', or audit committee members') judgments and behavior may be affected by rules and regulations related to independence, fraud, fair values, and disclosures. She has been published in academic journals such as The Accounting Review, Accounting Organizations & Society, Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, Accounting Horizons, and Issues in Accounting Education. In addition, she was chosen as one of the editors in Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory as well as the academic co-editor of Current Issues in Auditing. In 2017 she was selected to serve on the editorial board of Contemporary Accounting Research, one of the "premier" accounting journals.
Gaynor earned her PhD from the University of Texas – Austin, an MBA from the University of Miami, and a BS from the University of Florida. A Certified Public Accountant, Gaynor taught at Georgetown University and Florida State University prior to joining USF in 2006. Prior to entering academia, she served in roles such as controller, director of finance, auditor, and tax accountant for both public and private industries.
- ACG 3103 - Intermediate Financial Accounting I
- ACG 6932 - Integrative Accounting Seminar
Recent Research and Presentations
- Gaynor, L., A. Kelton, M. Mercer and T. Yohn. 2016. "Understanding the Relation between Financial Reporting Quality and Audit Quality" Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory 35(4): pp. 1-22
- Accounting Circle, Continuing Professional Education Conference, Informing Standard Setting through Accounting Research, Presenter. Tampa, FL, May 2016.
- Gaynor, Lisa. 2013. "Audit Committee Effectiveness – A Focus on Their Role and That of the External Auditor" AAA Auditing Section Midyear Conference, New Orleans, LA, January 2013.
- Bratten, B., L. Gaynor, L. McDaniel, N. Montague, G. Sierra, 2012. "The Audit of Fair Values and Other Estimates: The Effects of Underlying Environmental, Task, and Auditor-Specific Factors" Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory 32(1): 7-44.
- Gaynor, L.M. and A.S. Kelton. "The Effects of Analyst Forecasts and Management Forecast Consistency on Perceptions of Management Forecast Credibility," Accounting and Finance, forthcoming.