Grandon Gill teaches introductory and intermediate courses in programming for undergraduates and also teaches capstone courses in the MIS undergraduate, MS-MIS and Executive MBA programs. He has also taught a variety of IT courses during his tenure at USF, from computer systems concepts to doctoral case methods. He received USF's Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award in 2007 and 2013.
Gill is passionate about using technology as a teaching tool and has studied distance learning, strategy, and practice, alternative course designs, and tools for course development and delivery, all under the general heading of informing science. His research in this area has been published in many journals, including Informing Science, Decision Sciences Journal of Innovative Education, the Journal of Information Systems Education, eLearn, and the Journal of IT Education. He has also published multiple times in MIS Quarterly, the MIS discipline's leading journal—his most recent article considering the MIS fields from an informing science perspective. He has received several grants for his case research, including a $300,000 grant from the National Science Foundation to develop case studies in cybersecurity.
His academic service includes stints on the editorial boards of six journals. He is currently Editor-in-Chief of Informing Science: the International Journal of the Emerging Transdiscipline and serves as a Governor and Fellow of the Informing Science Institute. Gill was honored for his research into case writing in a 2014 special issue of Management Decision.
He holds an AB (cum laude) from Harvard College and an MBA (high distinction) and DBA from Harvard Business School. Gill joined USF in 2001, coming from Florida Atlantic University, where he received two teaching awards. He was previously a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy, where he served as a nuclear trained submarine officer.
- ISM 3232 - Business Application Development
- ISM 4234 – Object-Oriented Programming
- ISM 4300 – Managing Information Resources
- ISM 6155 - Enterprise Information Systems
- MAN 6930 – Business Problem Solving
- Pathfinders Eureka (2012) (T. Grandon Gill). Journal of IT Education: Discussion Cases, 1(7), 1-22.
- Wish Farms: Financing Firetag (2012) (T. Grandon Gill). Journal of IT Education: Discussion Cases, 1(6), 1-20.
- Innerscope Research, Inc. (2012) (T. Grandon Gill). Journal of IT Education: Discussion Cases, 1(5), 1-21.
- T. Grandon Gill, "Informing with the Case Method: Guidelines for Case Method Research,Writing and Facilitation", Informing Science Press. 2011.
- T. Grandon Gill, "Informing Business: Research and Education on a Rugged Landscape", Informing Science Press. 2010.
Gill's major service activity is serving as Editor-in-Chief of Informing Science: The International Journal of an Emerging Transdiscipline and as Editor of the Journal of IT Education. He has also served as the faculty coach for the CA International Case Competition, where USF's 2011 team placed 2nd in the world.