Alan R. Hevner
An Eminent Scholar in the Information Systems Decision Sciences Department, Alan Hevner also holds the Citigroup/Hidden River Chair of Distributed Technology. He teaches graduate courses in software architecture, testing, and advanced information systems analysis and design. Hevner was recently elected an AAAS Fellow by the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the world's largest general scientific society. The honor recognizes substantive contributions in this industry, particularly in the areas of design science research, cleanroom software engineering and distributed database systems.
Emphasizing the synergy between teaching and research, Hevner's interests include information systems development, software engineering, distributed database systems, healthcare systems, and service-oriented computing. He has coauthored chapters, books, and published 150+ papers on these topics. A significant number of his research contributions have been implemented and evaluated in business and industrial information systems; he was recently honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award for his contributions to the field of design sciences at the 2009 International Conference on Design Science Research in Information Systems and Technology.
Hevner earned bachelors, masters, and PhD degrees from Purdue University. He joined USF's faculty in 1994 after serving on the faculty of the University of Maryland and University of Minnesota. A member of ACM, IEEE, AIS and INFORMS, Hevner serves on the editorial board of MIS Quarterly. Hevner has also served as a program manager at the National Science Foundation.
- ISM 6124 - Advanced Information Systems Analysis & Design
- ISM 6145 - Software Testing
- ISM 7911 - Seminar on Technical IT Research
- M. Tremblay, A. Hevner, and D. Berndt, "Design of an Information Volatility Measure for Health Care Decision Making," Decision Support Systems, Vol. 52, No. 2, January 2012, pp. 331-341.
- B. Padmanabhan, A. Hevner, M. Cuenco, and C. Shi, "From Information to Operations: Service Quality and Customer Retention," ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, Vol. 2, No. 4, Article 21, December 2011, 21 pages.
- M. Harris, R. Collins, and A. Hevner, "Control of Flexible Software Development under Uncertainty," Information Systems Research: Special Issue on Flexible and Distributed Information Systems Development, September 2009, pp. 400-419.
- R. Collins, A. Hevner, G. Walton, and R. Linger, "The Impacts of Function Extraction Technology on Program Comprehension: A Controlled Study," Information and Software Technology, Vol. 50, No. 11, October 2008, pp. 1165-1179.
An internationally recognized scholar in Information Systems, Dr. Hevner serves as a Senior Editor of the Management Information Systems Quarterly, the top-ranked IS journal. He has presented research seminars around the globe, including recent talks in China, Australia, France, and throughout the U.S. He recently received a lifetime achievement award for his contributions to design research.