John M. Jermier is Professor of Organizational Behavior in the Department of Management and Organization and Professor of Sustainable Enterprise Research in the Patel College of Global Sustainability. He teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in organizational behavior, corporate environmentalism and environmental policy, and the measurement of organizational effectiveness.
Dr. Jermier's current research is focused on sustainability, the "greening" of organizations, and trends in green energy/technology, including a large study of waste reduction and culture change in the U.S. Air Force funded by the federal government. His most recent publication is a six volume book project that defines the field of corporate environmentalism and organizational greening, identifies key readings in the field, and provides a critical appraisal of the state of the art and a roadmap for future research. Jermier has authored or co-authored numerous articles, book chapters, books, research monographs and other scholarly works.
He is founding co-editor and past-co-editor of the academic journal, Organization & Environment and either is currently serving on or has served on the editorial review boards of Administrative Science Quarterly, Human Relations, Organization, Organization Science, Leadership Quarterly, Leadership, Journal of Management, Journal of Workplace Rights, and Tamara Journal for Critical Organizational Inquiry.
He earned a PhD, MBA, and MA from The Ohio State University and a BS from the University of Wisconsin.
- MAN 6055 - Organizational Behavior and Leadership
- MAN 6746 - Designing Sustainable Enterprise
- MAN 6930 - Response of Business to Global Environmental Problems
- MAN 4282 – Assessing Organizational Performance
- Jermier, J.M. 2013. Corporate environmentalism and the greening of organizations: General introduction to the volumes. In J.M. Jermier (Ed.), Corporate Environmentalism and the Greening of Organizations. London: Sage Publications. Pp. xxxi-liv. (Vol. 1).
- Jermier, J.M. 2013. Introduction to Vol. 2.. In J.M. Jermier (Ed.), Effects of Governmental Programs and Initiatives on Corporate Environmentalism and the Greening of Organizations. London: Sage Publications. Pp. vi-x.
- Jermier, J.M. 2013. Introduction to Vol. 3. In J.M. Jermier (Ed.), The New Corporate Environmentalism and Voluntary Environmental Initiatives, Part I. London: Sage Publications. Pp. vi-x. .
- Forbes, L. & Jermier, J.M. 2012. The new corporate environmentalism and the symbolic management of organizational culture. In P. Bansal & A. Hoffman (Eds.), Oxford Handbook of Business and the Environment. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Pp. 556-571.
- Jermier, J.M. & Forbes, L. 2011. Metaphor as the foundation of organizational studies: Images of Organization and beyond, Organization & Environment, 24: 444-458.
Dr. Jermier has been chair, chair-elect, program chair, and chair of professional development workshops of the Organizations and the Natural Environment Division of the Academy of Management. Currently, he serves on the editorial review boards of six academic journals.