Gary Laursen is an associate professor of accounting and law, teaching graduate courses in tax research and estate planning, and undergraduate courses in individual income taxation, corporate taxation, and business law for accountants. Considered an expert on the exam and requirements to become a Certified Public Accountant, Laursen also teaches in the School of Accountancy's CPA Review Program in the area of regulation (a combination of taxation and business law). He has received several teaching awards recognizing excellence in the classroom.
Laursen consults with clients in the area of estate planning and income tax planning. He periodically publishes articles for the Florida CPA Today, a professional magazine for Florida CPAs.
A CPA, Laursen is also admitted to the Florida Bar Association specializing in estate planning and income tax planning. His academic credentials include degrees from the University of Miami School of Law (JD and Master of Laws in Taxation) and Florida State University (BS in accounting).
- BUL 5332 - Law & the Accountant
- TAX 4001 - Tax & Business Entities
- TAX 6445 - Estate Planning
- Laursen, G. and C. Vance. 2013. "Entity Selection in Florida," The Florida CPA Today, February 2013 edition.
- Laursen, G. and C. Vance. 2013. "LLCs Alive and Well in Florida but... Owners Beware." The Florida CPA Today, February 2013 edition.
- Faculty advisor, USF Delta Gamma Chapter of the Beta Alpha Psi International Honorary Accounting Organization in the School of Accountancy
- Member, Florida Institute of CPAs; Florida Bar Association; Tampa Bay Estate Planning Council; Florida Board of Accountancy Continuing Professional Education Committee (the only full-time university faculty member serving on the committee); Florida Institute of CPAs Committee on Federal Taxation; and USF AccountingConference Committee
- Past president, Tampa Bay Estate Planning Council and Pinellas County Estate Planning Council
- Participates on numerous departmental, business school committees and university committees