Marketing professor David Ortinau teaches and mentors upper-level undergraduates in marketing research and consumer behavior courses and students in the Marketing PhD Program.
An expert in continuous improvement practices, product/service quality, and customer satisfaction, Ortinau is an active researcher and writer; his work has been published in the Journal of Retailing, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Health Care Marketing, Journal of Services Marketing, Journal of Marketing Education, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, among others. He is currently investigating the "elusive concept of quality," the development of a scale measurement for quality, and retail store positioning strategies.
Ortinau has a BS in management from Southern Illinois University, an MS. in business administration from Illinois State University and a PhD in marketing from Louisiana State University. He taught at Illinois State University and Louisiana University before joining the USF faculty in 1979.
- MAR 3613 - Market Research
- MAR 4503 - Buyer Behavior
- "Digging for 'Spanish Gold': How to Connect with Hispanic Consumers" (with Cynthia R. Cano) Journal of Advertising Research Vol. 52 No. 3 (2012):322 – 332.
- "Development of new empirical insights in consumer-retailer relationships within online and offline retail environments: Introduction to the special issue" (Barry J. Babin and Jean-Charles Chebat) Journal of Business Research (in print) 2012; also online at (doi:10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.06.003)
- "Writing and Publishing Important Scientific Articles: A Reviewer's Perspective", Journal of Business Research, 64 (2) (February 2011): 150-156; also online at (doi:10.1016/j.jbusres.2010.02.002)
- "Retailing evolution research: Introduction to the special section on retailing research" (with Barry Babin and Jean-Charles Chebat) Journal of Business Research, 64 (6) (June 2011): 541-542; also online at (doi:10.1016/j.jbusres.2010.06.004)
- Active member on the editorial review board, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, Journal of the Global Academy of Marketing Science
- Co-editor, Special Issue on Retailing in the Journal of Business Research
- Co-chair, 2008 and 2009 SMA-Retailing Strategy and Patronage Behavior Research Symposium