Balaji Padmanabhan is the Anderson Professor of Global Management and a professor in the Information Systems Decision Sciences Department. He has created and taught undergraduate, MBA/MS, and doctoral courses in areas related to business/data analytics, computational thinking, and electronic commerce.
Padmanabhan's research addresses data analytics for business applications, algorithms for online news recommender systems, management of data analytics in firms, fraud detection in healthcare, analytics in examining service quality and customer churn, behavioral profiling, and pattern discovery. His work has been published in both computer science and information systems journals and conferences including Management Science, Information Systems Research, MIS Quarterly, and INFORMS Journal on Computing.
He received a B.Tech in Computer Science from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) and a PhD from New York University (NYU). Padmanabhan's professional service includes work as associate editor and program committee member of several academic journals and conferences. He has published his research in leading outlets in business and computer science. He also works with several firms on technical, strategic and educational issues related to business and data analytics.
- ISM 6136 - Data Mining (graduate data analytics course)
- GEB 4935 – Computational Methods in Business (business honors undergraduate course)
- ISM 6930 – Computational Methods in IS Research (doctoral course)
- The "Top N" News Recommender: Count Distortion and Manipulation Resistance, Shankar Prawesh and Balaji Padmanabhan. 2011. In Proceedings of the fifth ACM Conference on Recommender systems (ACM RecSys '11). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 237-244.
- From Information to Operations: Service Quality and Customer Retention, Padmanabhan, B., Hevner A., Cuenco, M., and Shi, C. In ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, 2, 4, December 2011.
- From Business Intelligence to Competitive Intelligence: Inferring Competitive Measures Using Augmented Site-Centric Data, Zheng, E., Fader, P. and Padmanabhan, B. In Information Systems Research, September 2012 23:698-720.
His professional service includes work on the program committees of several academic conferences such as WITS, ICIS, ACM KDD and IEEE ICDM. He has served as associate editor on the editorial boards of Information Systems Research, INFORMS Journal on Computing, ACM Transactions on MIS and as an ad-hoc associate editor for MIS Quarterly and Management Science.