Greg Smersh is an instructor in the Muma College of Business Finance Department and director of the advisory board for the Real Estate Society at USF. His academic research has investigated the variation in house price appreciation due to factors such as location, risk and public policy. His seminal paper on pricing residential amenities in the Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 1998 has been cited over 480 times.
Smersh earned a doctorate from the University of Florida, an MBA from Western Washington University and a bachelor's degree from the University of Washington. Prior to joining USF in 2009, he was in the construction industry and worked as a consultant for the CCIM Institute. He has also done consulting work for real-estate developers throughout the state of Florida and held visiting positions at other Florida universities. He currently teaches the 100 percent online section of Principles of Finance along with several sections of the Real Estate Decision Making elective course.
- FIN 3403 - Principles of Finance
- REE 3043 - Real Estate Decision Making
- REE 6045 - Real Estate Decisions
- "Sinkholes and Residential Property Prices: Presence, Proximity, and Density," with Randy Dumm and Stacy Sirmans, forthcoming in Journal of Real Estate Research
- "Price Variation in Waterfront Properties Over the Economic Cycle," with Randy Dumm and Stacy Sirmans, Journal of Real Estate Research, Volume 38, Issue 1 (2016)
- "The Capitalization of Homeowners Insurance Premiums in House Prices," with Randy Dumm, Charles Nyce, and Stacy Sirmans, Journal of Risk and Insurance, Volume 82, Issue 4 (2015)
- "Building Codes, Wind Contours, and House Prices," with Randy Dumm and Stacy Sirmans, Journal of Real Estate Research, Volume 34, Number 1 (2012)
- "The Capitalization of Building Codes in House Prices," with Randy Dumm and Stacy Sirmans, Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Volume 42, Number 1 (2011)
- Faculty advisor to Real Estate Society at USF
- Ad hoc reviewer for academic journals and publishers
- Certified ARGUS Valuation - DCF™ instructor
- USF Sustainable Cities Working Group