School of Accountancy
Students wishing to register for Intermediate I must successfully complete the competency exam with a pass rate of 75%. Each student will have a maximum of two attempts to pass the competency exam. The exam consists of 60 multiple choice questions, with 40 questions based on concepts from Principles of Financial Accounting and 20 questions on concepts from Principles of Managerial Accounting. Students are not eligible to take the competency exam until they have successfully completed ACG 2021 with a grade of C or higher, and are currently enrolled or have completed ACG 2071 with a grade of C or higher.
To register for the competency exam, contact the Lynn Pippenger School of Accountancy at firstname.lastname@example.org with your date preference and Net ID. Thirty spaces are available for each appointment time. Each student MUST have a USF Net ID in order to register. All competency exams will be administered in BSN 1204.
The Lynn Pippenger School of Accountancy will also hold review sessions for students, to help prepare for the competency exam. Students are strongly advised to attend, and space is limited. To register for these reviews, please visit the links below.
The following dates and times are available:
Competency Exam Review Session
- October 27 at 4:00-7:00 p.m. in BSN 1102
- November 18 at 12:00-3:00 p.m. in BSN 1301
- December 2 at 2:00-5:00 p.m. in BSN 1301
2016 Competency Exam Times (all exams administered in BSN 1204)
- November 7 - 1:30-3:00 p.m.
- November 14 - 4:00-5:30 p.m.
- November 18 - 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- November 23 - 10:00-11:30 a.m.
- December 2 - 1:00-2:30 p.m.
- December 6 -12:30-2:00 p.m.
Instructions for Competency Exam
Once a student registers for the exam, an email will be sent to the student confirming the date and time they are scheduled and instructions on testing procedures. The student will also be added to an organization in Canvas titled "Competency Exam," which will list instructions, tips on how to prepare, and links to review materials.
We strongly recommends students review key concepts from Principles of Financial Accounting and Principles of Managerial Accounting.
- Financial accounting topics include: the accounting cycle, journal entries, adjusting and closing entries, financial statements, cash, accounts receivable, inventory, current and long term liabilities, bonds payable including effective interest method of amortization, time value of money, stockholder's equity, and Statement of Cash flows.
- Managerial accounting topics include: differences between financial and managerial accounting, IMA code of ethics, cost flows for a manufacturer including cost of goods manufactured, job costing, ABC costing, and cost behavior.
The Lynn Pippenger School of Accountancy will hold review sessions for students, to help them prepare for the competency exam. Students are strongly advised to attend. Register for these reviews with the links above.
Students who do not pass the competency exam on the first attempt, will be REQUIRED to attend one of the reviews before they will be permitted to register for a second attempt.
Students who do not pass the exam within two attempts, must retake ACG 2021 at USF, retest, and pass the competency exam on or before their second attempt. Those who do not pass the competency exam at this time, may not proceed with the accounting major. Please speak with an academic advisor regarding other options within the Muma College of Business.
Contact the Lynn Pippenger School of Accountancy at email@example.com with scheduling questions, or contact Jennifer Cainas at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions regarding exam content or exam administration.