ISDS Practice Center
- To provide experiential learning for our students within the Information Systems Decision Sciences program
- To engage faculty members in meaningful ways with different businesses and organizations within the Tampa Bay region
- To provide local businesses and organizations with a real solution to an issue or problem that they face within the areas associated with the ISDS program
The ISDS Practice Center gives students with new skills and experiences in doing "real world" projects sponsored by industry partners. Students work in groups of two performing collaborative team-based projects. Every project is supervised by at least one ISDS faculty mentor and at least one representative of the project-sponsoring industry partner. Typically, projects are scoped to last a semester. Based on a project's outcome or the nature of the project, an industry partner may choose to sponsor the next phase or a new project for an additional semester. Some flexibility is built into this program for situations where the project start date cannot coincide with the start of the semester, or where industry partners require students to work on multiple projects. However, the selection of projects should be based on some learning objectives. There is also some flexibility as to the location where students comlete project work – USF campus and/or sponsoring industry partner facilities.
Participating students benefit from working on "real world" projects for the industry, while gaining valuable experience, along with earning possible stipend and credits. These students become more competitive in the job market, and are noticed by sponsoring industry partners. Participating students also benefit from the mentoring provided by ISDS faculty and industry representatives supervising respective projects.
ISDS faculty members benefit by applying their knowledge to "real world" problems, while at the same time maintaining currency in their practice skills. They also learn about industry problems, technology solutions, and issues, which they can bring to the classroom, and to their research.
The business partners benefit in multiple ways. First, they have the opportunity to work with top-quality MIS students in order to create solutions to projects that benefit them, while leveraging the expertise of ISDS faculty members. Companies are able to engage and observe students perform projects for future consideration of full time employment, thereby reducing the cost of recruitment.
The center is supported by private gifts, as well as support from the industry partners who benefit from the services performed.
Projects are selected two months before the start of the semester in which students work on projects. Applications may come from companies or students themselves.
Participants must be ISDS students and are selected based on GPA, skill sets, and the availability of projects. Honors students are encouraged to apply as project work could be part of a honors thesis, subject to the terms of the non-disclosure agreements.
ISDS Practice Center Partner: $12,000 to $18,000 per semester
- Provides funding for two students for 20 - 40 hours per week per student (12-20 weeks).
- Funds faculty supervision throughout the semester for the students and for the partner
We are excited to announce a new structure for ISDS Practice Centers Projects with more choices for sponsor companies.
- Projects are expected to run from May 9th to July 29th 2016.
- The typical project is 2 students for 20 – 40 hrs/week for 12 weeks with a faculty member's supervision.
Fall + Spring
- Projects are expected to run from October 17th, 2016 to March 24th, 2017.
- The typical project is 2 students for 20 hours / week for 16 - 20 weeks with a faculty member's supervision.
Please contact Anna Bahvala, ISDS Academic Services Administrator, for specific details at email@example.com.
Note for all Practice Center Partners
All required paperwork, including the signing of non-disclosure agreements as required by the project partners, and documents as required by USF, must be completed before the start of the semester. Also, students are employed by USF, and therefore USF manages the payroll processing for students.
Practice Center partners have included
- Bank of America
- Colliers International
- Grow Financial
- Jagged Peak
- JPMorgan Chase
- Raymond James Financial
- Time Customer Service
- Trader Planet
- US Department of Veterans Affairs
- USF Health