Tips for Success at Corporate Connections
Don't wait until you're desperate for a job – start networking NOW!
About the Event...
This event is set up in a reception-style atmosphere that provides an opportunity for graduate business students to meet companies and discuss career opportunities. Informal discussions will take place in a more relaxed environment than a typical career fair. Rules for career fair etiquette still apply, including professional dress and researching the companies in attendance prior to the event. Unlike a career fair, you may be in a situation where you must approach an employer on your own and begin a conversation, and you should prepare accordingly.
Example Networking Conversations...
It has been said that the first 30 seconds are the most valuable in any business conversation.
- I will be graduating ____________________, and am especially interested in a position in the _________ field.
- I was reading about your company on the internet, and I noticed you are opening a new division. Could you tell me a little more about that expansion?
- I have taken some time to think about my experiences and education to this point, and feel my particular skills involve analysis, verbal communicating, a good sense of teamwork and being a clear writer.
- I am looking for a position in the _______________ field in a company where my analytical skills and attention to detail could be of benefit.
- What are you most excited/concerned about for this industry/company in the future?
- What do you see as the biggest competitive challenge going forward for your company?
- What attracted you to this industry/field/company?
- What are some of the defining characteristics of the MBAs that have been hired by your company in the past for this position?
- What qualities does your company typically look for in an MBA graduate?
- What kinds of backgrounds do people in your organization have?
- What types of training opportunities does your company offer its employees?
- What is the work environment like at your company? Do employees mostly work in teams or on an individual basis?
- What are your plans for recruiting now and in the future?
- How do you measure an individual's success in your organization?
- What specific qualifications are you seeking in candidates for this position?
- It was great meeting you.
- It was nice to talk to you.
- Enjoy your evening.
- Do you mind if I follow up with you regarding the positions we spoke about today?
After the Event: The Follow-up ...
At a networking event such as this one, follow-up will be your key to success. Remember to send the employers that you spoke with a thank you letter within 24 hours. Tell them you enjoyed meeting them, and remind them of the conversation you shared.