Dress For Success
You've heard it before, but it bears repeating: first impressions count. Dress professionally for every job fair or interview even if the company has a casual dress policy.
Here are some tips to get you started:
- Your attire should not draw attention away from your personality and what you are saying.
- Personal hygiene is important. Pay attention to everything, including your fingernails.
- Shoes are important. They should be conservative, dark color, polished and not too casual.
- Choose conservative, solid, simple colors, such as tan, brown, black, or gray. Choose neutral colored shirts, such as white, off-white, beige, or a color that complements your suit.
- Keep jewelry to a minimum.
- Everything should be well-pressed.
- Do not chew gum and finish breath mints prior to the interview.
- Check for seam rips, runs in stockings, loose strings, and missing buttons. Everything you wear should be in top condition.
General Tips for Men
- Wear a dark color suit and make sure your tie matches.
- Tie must touch the top of your belt buckle and pants must touch the top of your shoes.
- Tattoos should be covered and piercings must be removed.
- Choose long sleeved shirts in a neutral color.
- Avoid heavy cologne or aftershave.
- Avoid spiky hairdos and excessive hair gel. Also, make sure facial hair is well-groomed.
- Do not wear ankle socks or light colored socks.
General Tips for Women
- Wear natural make up that completes your look but is not overdone.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes with moderate heels.
- Avoid heavy perfume.
- Do not show cleavage.
- Skirts should come to just above the knee and must be worn with hosiery.
- Choose a simple hairstyle.
- Avoid dangling earrings or bracelets. Keep jewelry simple and tasteful, if it makes noise when you move, don't wear it.
- Piercings, other than earrings, should not be worn.
- Examples of professional attire can also be found in the College of Business Undergraduate Career Guide and the Facebook album for the Ann Taylor Dress for Success Workshop