Sport & Entertainment Management
USF's Vinik Sport & Entertainment Management Residency Program is unique in content compared to other MBA graduate programs in Sport and Entertainment. The program is designed to serve as a co-op program for graduate students in their second year of study. Students will attend classes two days per week and work three days per week for a sport or entertainment organization in the greater Tampa/St. Petersburg SMA.
The residency program is multifaceted in its design and intent. It is designed to:
- Place the student in a professional environment where they can learn, grow, and contribute while gaining professional experience that will assist in identifying their career goals and gaining meaningful employment
- Integrate students, faculty, and personnel from the sport/entertainment entity in both learning situations for the students and contributing situations for faculty and students to work with the entity to employ the latest innovations and best practices that they have assimilated from their classroom work, research, and consulting practices
- To generate an intensive in-depth experience for the students to enable them to determine the best possible career focus upon graduation
In exchange for their participation in the program, students are paid a stipend based upon 20 hours of work per week, as well as health insurance and a tuition waiver for the semester they are participating in the program – usually two – but in some cases they might begin the Residency program earlier if there is a opportunity and a need on the part of the sponsoring organization.
The residency concept was first envisioned by CEO Tod Leiweke of Tampa Bay Sports and Entertainment and presented to the Vinik Sport & Entertainment Management Program faculty at USF. According to Leiweke, "It is a honor for the Tampa Bay Lightning to team up with the University of South Florida and this MBA Degree Program in Sport and Entertainment Management. Bill Sutton is the world-class leader capable of making this a world-class program where students will begin their journey. Students will not be placed merely in an intern role but instead become true residents and internal consultants at the Lightning, helping our business become better each day and preparing to become the next great leaders in the sport and entertainment industry".
The organizations listed below are a representative sample of the types of enterprises participating in the Vinik Sport & Entertainment Management Residency Program:
- Tampa Bay Sports and Entertainment (including the Tampa Bay Lightning)
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- University of South Florida Athletics
- Iron Man Triathlon, Inc.
- Feld Entertainment
- VF Imagewear/Majestic
- Tampa Bay Sports Commission
- IMG College