Business Analytics / Information Systems
USF's Business Analytics and Information Sciences Certificate is designed exclusively for non-business majors. Perfect for students majoring in mass communications, criminology, psychology, international studies, social work, public health, history, philosophy, languages, political science or computer science (or similar majors), this program provides the information systems and business analytics knowledge - without having to pursue a business minor - that will help students in these and other disciplines land a job where they can apply their skills in corporate systems or analytics settings.
There are no pre-requisites to begin the certificate. While there is no specific point of entry for the program, there is a preferred sequence of coursework, starting with the Information Systems in Organizations class and ending with a specialized Business Intelligence course.
Typical course sequencing
- ISM 3011 Information Systems in Organizations (CGS 2100 or equivalent is a prerequisite)
- ISM 3232 Business Application Development (ISM 3011 is a prerequisite)
- ISM 3113 Systems Analysis and Design (ISM 3232 is a co-requisite and ISM 3011 is a prerequisite)
- ISM 4212 Database Design and Administration (ISM 3113 is a prerequisite)
- ISM 4930 Excel and SQL for Business Analytics (ISM 3011 is a prerequisite)
Other important notes
- At least 12 of the required 15 credit hours for this program must be taken at USF Tampa.
- This is not a second degree nor a business minor; this is a certificate program and will be reflected as such on the student transcripts.
- A 2.0 or better GPA must be achieved in the certificate coursework. Courses may not be taken on a S/U basis.
- Requirements for non USF students to apply for certificate program
- 60 credit hours of college course credit
- College course credit GPA requirements: minimum 2.0 GPA from a Florida state or community college, Florida SUS program, or a minimum 2.5 GPA from all other colleges/universities.
- Minimum grade to receive a business certificate
- To receive a certificate student must achieve a 2.0 or better in each certificate course.