Federal Work Study Overview
In order to obtain an FWS position, students must possess an award from the University Scholarships and Financial Aid Services (USFAS) office.
When students complete their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), they indicate if they are interested in receiving Federal Work Study. If interested students meet certain FWS eligibility requirements, they may be awarded FWS in their financial aid award package according to the availability of funds. this award can be viewed in a student's OASIS account. If awarded FWS, it is the student's responsibility to secure an FWS job (most likely on campus, but some are off-campus community service-oriented positions) in order to earn their award money. Students' awards are earned in the form of bi-weekly paychecks. USF Career Services assists students with their self-directed job search as outlined below. Please note: For questions about how to receive an FWS award, contact the University Scholarships and Financial Aid Services (USFAS) office.
- Accept your FWS award in OASIS.
- Read FWS Frequently Asked Questions.
Search for Jobs
- Go to Careers@USF
- In the "Basic Search" box, select the appropriate campus, then select "FWS Student" in the "Job Families" box, hit the "Search" button.
- Before applying to a position, a student will need to register for a Careers@USF account, creating a user name and password.
- Students should tailor their résumés and create a cover letter targeted to each job for which they are applying. Applicants are also asked to demonstrate proof of their FWS award by saving their "Award Overview" screen from OASIS as a print screen and then pasting it into the same document being used for the résumé and cover letter. The "Award Overview" is found by going to OASIS > Financial Aid > My Award and Loan Information > Award Overview. If other documents (in addition to your FWS award) are required as part of your application, you must upload ALL documents as one document. It is best to save this final document as a PDF file.
- Students should also save "proof" of their FWS award by saving the "Award Overview" screen as a PDF file and uploading it to a student's Careers@USF profile as an attachment under the "My Career Tools" tab.
- Students should thoroughly complete the general application in Careers@USF when applying to a position.
- Students can use Career Express hours for assistance in creating application materials or schedule an appointment with Ashley Motley, the FWS Advisor, by contacting the Career Services front desk at 813-974-2171.
- For additional guidance on creating application documents, following-up with a department after submitting an application, and prepping for an interview, students can also refer to our Part-Time Job Search Guide.
Students should discuss their hours with their department/supervisor in order to determine how much of their award they can earn. Since departments are given limited funding to which they must adhere, departments are not required to ensure students earn their full award amount.