Doctor of Philosophy
Program of Study
Foundational Core (Minimum 12 credit hours)Foundational core courses provide students with knowledge of the basic foundations of educational leadership, policy studies, and inquiry. The core consists of:
- Educational Leadership Knowledge Requirements (18 credit hours)
Specialization core courses provide students with a knowledge of the leadership, policy and curriculum processes within educational leadership and policy studies. The courses consist of:
- EDA 7193: Organizational Leadership & Systems Theory
- EDA 7233: Legal Dimensions of School Administration
- EDA 7281: Policy Analysis and Implementation Strategies
- EDA 7280: Curriculum Theory
- EDG 7692: Issues in Curriculum and Instruction
- EDA 7667: Analysis of Curriculum OR EDA 6195: Policy Development*
*can substitute for EDA 7247: Advanced School Finance
- Research Methods Core (Minimum 15 credit hours)
Students are required to develop familiarity with epistemological and an analytical foundation of qualitative and quantitative research approaches and applications. As a result, students will take a minimum of fifteen (15) credit hours of research courses to acquire both a broad understanding of inquiry required for educational leadership and policy studies and a set of specific skills relevant for their dissertation research.
Required Research Courses (Minimum 15 credit hours)
- EDF 6407: Statistical Analysis Education I or approved equivalent
- EDF 7408: Statistical Analysis Education II or approved equivalent
- EDA 7410: Qualitative Case Methods in Educational Leadership or approved equivalent
- EDF 7478: Qualitative Research in Education II or approved equivalent
- An Elective quantitative or qualitative research course selected under advisement of
program advisor or major professor
Current Rotation of Courses (please be aware that these could be adjusted, dependent on enrollment) Fall Semesters Spring Semesters Summer Semesters EDA 7931: Leadership Theory or EDA 7197: Critical Readings EDA 7280: Curriculum Theory EDA 7069: Ethics and Educational Leadership EDA 7197: Critical Readings/Discourses in Ed Leadership EDA 7281: Policy Analysis and Implementation Strategies EDF 6407: Statistical Analysis Education I EDG 7193: Organizational Leadership & Systems Theory EDA 7667: Analysis of Curriculum and Instruction EDA 7410: Qualitative Research in Education I EDG 7692: Issues in Curriculum EDA 6195: Policy Development EDG 7067: Philosophies of Inquiry EDA 7233: Legal Dimensions of School Administration EDA 7205: Educational Politics & Policy: Theory & issues
Doctoral Cognate (12 credit hours)
The doctoral cognate allows students to acquire mastery knowledge from additional disciplines that supplement their doctoral studies. The Education Leadership & Policy Studies cognate consists of a coherent combination of twelve (12) credit hours from a field or fields outside the program.
Each student completes a qualifying exam at the end of coursework prior to admission to candidacy.
Dissertation Hours (Minimum 6 credit hours)
A dissertation is an extended and detailed piece of original research containing a rigorous examination of existing research literature and research methodologies. It is a structured piece of writing that develops an argument that somehow improves or extends existing research. Prior to the oral defense, the completed dissertation is read and evaluated by the dissertation advisor and members of the student’s committee.
Total Program Hours = 63 credit hours minimum
Note: There is no residency requirement for the Ph.D. program.