Doctor of Philosophy
All students applying for admission to the doctoral program in Special Education must meet the USF admission requirements. In addition, the Special Education program has the following admissions requirements:
- Earned master's or educational specialist's degree, or equivalent, from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Earned GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in upper division baccalaureate work, or a minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale in graduate coursework.
- Completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Provide Three letters of recommendation from professionals who are familiar with their scholarship and work history.
- Evidence of at least three years of successful work experience in relevant professional roles.
- Participate in an oral interview with two or more faculty members.
- Demonstrate the ability to write professionally by submitting a spontaneous writing sample at the time of the interview.
- A statement of professional goals (immediate, intermediate, and long term) and research interests. Professional goals and research interests should be compatible with the opportunities provided through a doctoral degree in special education.
- Receive endorsement by the majority of tenured and tenure-earning faculty members in the department.
This program can accommodate both full time and part time students. In rare and exceptional cases, candidates who do not meet the above requirements may be admitted if there is substantial alternative evidence indicating their potential to successfully complete the doctoral program.