Educational Specialist in Reading/Language Arts (Hybrid)
The Literacy Faculty welcome students to apply for the Ed.S. in Reading/Language Arts. The process begins online through the Graduate School and ends at the department level with the admission decision made by faculty. If you are interested in applying, please begin the process at least one year prior to admission because the program begins each Fall and applications are not reviewed in the summer.
Requirements for Admission
- Transcripts from past accredited institutions.
- Education: Earned Masters Degree in Reading, Language, Literature or related field or Masters Degree in another field with at least 9 hours of Reading, Language, Literature at the graduate level.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores for Verbal, Quantitative, and Writing in the 30th percentile or higher. GRE must be taken within 5 years of the application.
- Three Academic References who can attest to the students’ academic qualifications.
- Writing Sample: Submit two academic documents that demonstrate writing and analysis skills.
- A curriculum vitae (CV or vita), outlining your experience and other qualifications.
- Employment References: Submit two references from individuals who can describe your professional experiences and work ethic.
- Complete Online Application.
- Submit GRE scores and transcripts to the USF Graduate School.
- Notify the department of your intention to apply to the program and submit supporting documentation to: Ms. Julie Schenk.
- Once receiving the complete application (i.e., Graduate School Application and additional requirements), the Program Coordinator reviews the materials to determine the applicant’s eligibility.
- Eligible applicants may be invited for an interview. The interviewing committee makes
one of three recommendations:
- acceptance into the program
- conditional acceptance with suggestions for prerequisite courses or experiences
- Applicants will be notified regarding the status of their application within two weeks of the interview.
The deadline for applications is February 15th for Fall admission.