Prerequisite Coursework for Admission
The USF School Psychology Program does not require students to have a degree in psychology, education or related fields, however the following coursework will required for admission to the program:
- An undergraduate (or graduate) course in Statistics
- An undergraduate (or graduate) course in Tests and Measurements (including issues such as reliability, validity, standard error of measurement, etc.)
- An undergraduate (or graduate) course in Research Methods or Experimental Design with a lab component.
Required Admissions Materials
All admissions materials should be uploaded via the USF application for admission. A complete application includes the following:
- A completed application to the USF School of Graduate Studies
- Payment of the application fee ($30) - Payable by check, money order or credit card.
IMPORTANT SUPPLEMENTAL DOCUMENTS UPLOADING INFORMATION:
- Please upload all remaining admissions materials to your graduate school application.
- Please select degree code "SSP" for the Ed.S. program and "DSG" for the Ph.D. program.
- GRE scores - Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytical Writing scores are required and scores should
not be more than 5 years old — The USF institution code for sending your GRE scores
- Transcripts from both the undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Unofficial transcripts
can be used for initial review purposes. Official transcripts will be required if
- A current resume or vita.
- A statement of your professional goals — In a 2-3 page statement, please tell us why you are interested in becoming a school
psychologist, why you have applied to the program at USF, and anything else about
yourself that you think would help us get to know you and your goals.
- Three letters of recommendation — It is best if those writing a letter for you are familiar with your academic skills
(e.g., writing, critical thinking, research). It is advised that applicants use the request for letters of recommendation via the
online application. However, for those who send hard copy letters, they should be sealed and signed across
the seal by the individual making the recommendation.
Letters from individuals who have taught you at the college or graduate level are preferred. However, letters from individuals who are familiar with your professional work skills (e.g., an employer) will be accepted as well.
Our program does not require a recommendation letter form to be submitted along with the letter.
- A writing sample — Students who have a research paper or literature review that is written in APA style should include a copy of this in their application. If this is not available, please send us a representative piece of your writing (e.g., a paper written in college) that demonstrates your skills in conceptualizing ideas and communicating those ideas in written form.
- All applicants are required to submit an application fee of $30 for each graduate
program that they are applying to at the University of South Florida.
For example, if you applied to the School Psychology Program and another graduate program such as Clinical Psychology or Social Work, you must submit the $30 application fee for each program you applied to. You will also need to submit additional transcripts, recommendation letters or other admissions documents to each program in which you apply.
- If you are interested in applying to both the School Psychology Ph.D. and Ed.S. programs,
you do not need to submit two separate applications. Please indicate your interest in applying
for both programs in your statement of professional goals. If you are selected for
an interview, you will have the opportunity to discuss with faculty members which
program would be most beneficial for you.
- Students who previously attended USF as a degree-seeking student or as a non-degree seeking student, must submit an application fee with their application.