New Publications Alert
New Publications Alert
Engaging Florida Residents: Motivations and Impacts of Community Gardens in Tampa Bay
August 2017 Authored by USF College of Public Health Faculty and Graduate Students: Jennifer Marshall, Mindy Price, Joseph England, Kate LeGrand, and Russell S. Kirby
Abstract: While the impacts of community gardens have been well documented, research has mainly been concentrated in only a few urban areas of the United States. This paper highlights the social impacts of community gardens on west central Florida individuals, families, and communities. We use theories of community engagement to explore relationships between members and their larger spheres of influence. In this study, we surveyed 75 members of eight community gardens in Tampa Bay and sued geographic information systems (GIS) mapping to show spatial distribution of gardens and members. Findings highlight multilevel impacts of community engagement in social, education, and altruistic domains. Community gardens promote community engagement among members. The impacts of community gardens extend beyond the membership structure. Click here to read more.
Application of mixed-methods design in community-engaged research: Lessons learned from an evidence-based intervention for Latinos with chronic illness and minor depression
August 2017 Co-authored by Kelsey Anderson, Isabella Chan, Jaime Corvin, Dinorah (Dina) Martinez Tyson
- •A mixed methodology allows community and academic partners to collaborate on research decisions.
- •Community-based, participatory methods enhance evidence-based intervention implementation.
- •Community-academic partnerships are invaluable to bridging the community-research divide.
Click here to read more.
Featured article, Service Learning Experience Effects on High School Students' Learning of Science Practices, in Science and Service Learning collection
Co-authored by Allan Feldman, Ph.D., Science Education, College of Education, Department of Teaching and Learning Dec 1, 2016 For a preview click here.
Universities and Their Cities: Urban Higher Education in America
Steven J. Diner has published Universities and Their Cities: Urban Higher Education in America (April, 2017). (The USF Library has an electronic copy, available at https://muse.jhu.edu/book/51738.) Drawing on the archives and publications of higher education organizations and foundations, Universities and Their Cities argues that city universities brought about today's commitment to universal college access by reaching out to marginalized populations. Diner shows how these institutions pioneered the development of professional schools and PhD programs. Finally, he considers how leaders of urban higher education continuously debated the definition and role of an urban university. In an interview with Inside Higher Education, Diner notes that ""All urban institutions have a great opportunity to engage undergraduate, graduate and professional students in city internships and experiential learning, which has become quite popular in recent years. In addition to such instruction-based activities, more and more institutions have embraced a commitment to fostering civic responsibility in students through volunteer service. In short, I would argue that all colleges and universities in cities should engage with their municipality, and that such engagement greatly enhances their mission."
The following peer-reviewed journals publish community-engaged research, including research related to civic engagement and service-learning in higher education.
- Community Works (Magazine)
- Education, Citizenship, and Social Justice
- The International Journal of Research on Service-Learning and Community Engagement
- The Journal for Civic Commitment
- Journal of Community Engagement and Higher Education
- Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship
- Journal of Experiential Education
- Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement
- Journal of Public Scholarship in Higher Education
- Journal of Service-Learning in Higher Education
- Michigan Journal of Community Service-Learning
- Partnerships: A Journal of Service-Learning and Civic Engagement
- PRISM: A Journal of Regional Engagement
- Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education and Action
- National Civic Review
- Metropolitan Universities Journal
- Journal of Higher Education
- Journal of Community Practice
- International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- International Journal for Service-Learning in Engineering: Humanitarian Engineering and Social Entrepreneurship
- Journal of Community Psychology Practice
- Gateways: International Journal of Community Research & Engagement
- Family & Community Health
- Community Development Journal | Oxford Academic
- Reflections: A Journal of Public Rhetoric, Civic Writing, and Service-Learning