The Deferred Retirement Option Program (DROP) is a retirement program within the FRS Pension Plan that allows you to retire and have your FRS benefits accumulate in the FRS Trust Fund earning interest while you continue to work for up to five years. Your participation in DROP does not change your conditions of employment. When the DROP period ends, you must terminate employment to receive your accumulated DROP benefit and begin receiving your monthly retirement benefit. For additional information, visit the Division of Retirement website.
As an eligible member of the FRS Pension Plan (FRSP) or Teachers Retirement System (TRS), you may participate in DROP when you are vested and have reached your normal retirement date. Your "normal retirement date" is the earliest date at which you become eligible for full, unreduced benefits based upon your age and/or service.
|Plan||Hired before 07/01/2011||Hired on or after 07/01/2011|
|FRS Pension||6 years||8 years|
|Retirement Type||Hired before 07/01/2011||Hired on or after 07/01/2011|
|Regular||Age 62 or 30 years of service||Age 65 or 33 years of service|
|Special Risk||Age 55 or 25 years of service||Age 60 or 30 years of service|
If you complete 30 years of service before you reach age 57, you may qualify to defer your DROP participation to a future date.
If you wish to participate in DROP, you may make your election up to six months before the date you plan to begin participation, but the Division of Retirement must receive your election no later than the month you wish to begin DROP. You must make your election within a 12-month election window that begins when you first reach your normal retirement date unless you are eligible to defer your election as listed above. If you do not apply within your prescribed election window, you will lose your eligibility to participate. Your 60 month (five year) participation period starts on your 1st month of eligibility, even though you are allowed one year to sign up for DROP. It does not extend your 60 month DROP enrollment period.
- Eligible for DROP 7/1/09
- DROP enrollment is from 7/1/09-6/30/14
- You decide not to enroll in DROP until 6/1/10
- Your DROP termination date would still be 6/30/14
How to Enroll
Contact the Benefits Representative for your HR Service Center to schedule an appointment. The DROP Retirement Form Packet will be completed during your appointment.
Additional documents needed to process your retirement
- Birth Certificate of employee
- Birth Certificate of spouse (if selecting Option 3 or 4 on FRS-11o form)
- Driver's license – for notary
How to Terminate DROP
Should you choose to terminate DROP prior to your scheduled end date, please contact the DROP Termination Unit and inform them of your new termination date by calling (844) 377-1888
- The Division of Retirement will send the DROP Termination Notification (DP-TERM), DROP Selected Payout Method (DP-PAYT), and Joint Annuitant Verification (DP-Joint – only if Option 4 was selected). These forms will be mailed to your home address.
- Once the forms are received, contact your Service Center to schedule an appointment with your HR Benefits Representative. Bring the forms you receive with you to your retirement appointment.