TA Support for Distance Learning Courses
Information regarding support for teaching assistants
TAMPA, FL. (Nov. 7, 2013) – Colleges on the USF Tampa campus may request funding for a teaching assistant or a graduate assistant to support online courses. This funding is provided through the Distance Learning (DL) fee revenue generated from online courses.
In order to qualify for support, the following criteria must be met:
- A course must meet the Florida legislation definition of a distance learning course. A distance learning course is defined as having at least 80 percent of the direct instruction of the course delivered using some form of technology when the student and instructor are separated by time or space, or both. Florida Statute 1009.2: State university student fees.
- A course must carry the distance learning fee and be offered online the semester TA support is provided. TA support funds cannot be used to pay instructional compensation for the instructor of record.
- The college must submit a copy of the Assistantship Appointment form and signed TA Support Agreement form prior to the beginning of the semester.
- Requests which do not meet these criteria will also be considered given course needs and the availability of funding.
In addition, please note the following:
- Requests will be accepted after registration has opened for the current and upcoming semesters.
- TA stipends will vary depending on student levels and college/department payment policies.
- TA stipends will be distributed on Innovation Education's chartfield, using the college's department code.
- Tuition waivers are not included.
- Colleges may use funds from their 10 percent share of distance learning revenues to fund tuition waivers for their TA/GA's when their college allotment has been exhausted.
- Departments meeting requirements will receive TA funding at the following enrollment levels:
- One (1) TA at 10 hrs. /wk. (.25 FTE) for a course with 81 enrollments. Additional TA's will be
- supported as enrollments increase by increments of 80.
- One (1) TA at 10 hrs. /wk. (.25 FTE) for a combination of sections of a course totaling 81
- enrollments with faculty sharing support. Additional TA's will be supported as enrollments
- increase by increments of 80.
To apply, you must:
- Complete the TA Support Agreement form.
- Submit the completed form to:
Mgr., Fiscal & Business Admin
USF Innovative Education
4202 E. Fowler Ave., SVC1072
Tampa, FL 33620