This professional certificate in ESOL is designed specifically for those who already hold a bachelor's degree and teaching certification. The certificate provides the curriculum needed for those who wish to specialize in teaching English language learners in the K-12 setting and also fulfills the education requirements for the ESOL endorsement.
This graduate certificate curriculum is fully online.
The applicant must hold a bachelor's degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA from a regionally accredited institution. International applicants must provide original transcripts certified as equivalent to the U.S. bachelor's degree.
To learn about the application process, and to access the application, please review our application process.
None are required
15 credit hours
- TSL 6253 - Applied Linguistics (3)
- FLE 6167 - Cross-Cultural Issues in Teaching ESOL (3)
- FLE 6433 - Curriculum and Instructional Materials Development for Teaching ESOL (3)
- TSL 6470 - Assessment and Progress Management for Teaching ESOL (3)
- TSL 6390 - Instructional Methods and Strategies for Teaching ESOL (3)
Credit toward Graduate Degree
Up to 12 hours of certificate course credits may be applied to a graduate degree with departmental approval
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required from international students when English is not the native language. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test or 79 on the computer-based test is required. If the applicant has completed a degree at a U.S. institution, the TOEFL is not required.