Strategic Goals 1-8
Goal 6: IT Infrastructure
"Establish a sustainable, secure, compliant, robust, and reliable IT infrastructure
that enables a consistent technology experience for all users."
The IT infrastructure is the underpinning and support of all technology services and solutions, including wired and wireless networks, servers, and disk storage. IT is responsible for securing the information resources located within this infrastructure against security breaches and other threats. IT seeks to create a secure landscape that provides a consistently excellent technology experience for all USF System users, no matter where the user is accessing the systems.
- Build a sustainable, fault-tolerant infrastructure data center (Uptime Institute Tier
IV) with sufficient capacity for system-wide needs and growth. Evaluate and continually
improve the USF Systems’ network to provide the high performance necessary for consistently
superior service levels:
- Exceed the network objectives for researchers who require the exchange of massive amounts of data internally and externally, and access to high performance computing.
- Continue building a system-wide wireless network that provides ubiquitous coverage and accommodates emerging technologies that improve speed, coverage and usability.
- Improve redundancy, component design, and change control in both wired and wireless networks.
- Ensure the system-wide network meets the growing requirements in instruction and research for multimedia.
- Improve and unify business continuity and disaster recovery planning to reduce institutional risk.
- Evaluate emerging technologies, such as “cloud computing” and “Software as a Service,” to determine their suitability for utilization and integration into the USF System.
- Improve system-wide security monitoring and ability to identify complex cyber attacks by implementing a consistent and robust Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) system.
- Replace the existing Intrusion Detection System with a new solution that is scalable, provides flexible configurations for different networking needs, protects against a wide range of attacks, and meets enterprise architecture and management needs.
- Create an operations center for the monitoring and visualization of infrastructure components and system performance which would be accessible across IT for the prevention of outages and the speedy resolution of problems. The center would incorporate capacity planning.
- Facilitate high quality health care through modern electronic medical record management and infrastructure.
Achievement of this Goal will be measured by:
- System availability / up time
- Percentage of critical machines covered by appropriate security depth level