Symantec Virus Protection
Download the new Symantec Endpoint Protection to protect your home PCs and MACs. This
software is free to all USF students, faculty, and staff with a valid NetID.
The packages on the web include virus and spyware protection for 32 and 64 bit Microsoft Windows systems, including Windows 8 and MAC OSX.
Minimum System Requirements
- Intel Processor or compatible architecture (32 or 64 bit)
- Memory: 256 MB of RAM or more
- Hard Disk: 600 MB or more free
- Windows Operating System (32 or 64 bit) or MAC OSX
To Install Symantec (For Personal Windows-Based computers only)
- Download the directions for PC or MAC.
- Click on the appropriate Symantec package for your computer, then Save the file to your desktop (You will need to log on with your USF NetID and password). Which version of Symantec do I need? (Windows)
- Save the file to your desktop.
- Remove any existing anti-virus or anti-spyware protection currently installed including
McAfee, older versions of Norton or Symantec, Spybot, Spyware, Guard, etc. Symantec
EndPoint Protection provides both anti-virus and anti-spyware protection.
- You are about to remove all existing anti-virus software from your computer which will leave your computer vulnerable to virus attacks. Information Technology highly recommends that you disconnect your computer from the internet before continuing. In order to disconnect your computer from the internet you may need to disable the wireless connection on the computer, unplug the network cable, turn off the wireless router, or possibly turn off the cable modem. If you are not comfortable disabling your internet connection or if you do not know how, you may leave your connection active and proceed with step 4, but be aware that your system will be vulnerable to virus attacks during the installation process.
- After the computer restarts, Double-Click on the Symantec file you downloaded earlier to your desktop. The Symantec installer will begin, this may take some time. A yellow shield will appear in the lower right hand side of the screen in the system tray. This indicates that the software has finished loading. The Symantec installer will begin, this may take some time.
- A yellow shield will appear in the lower right hand side of the screen in the system tray. This indicates that the software has finished loading.
- Double-click on the shield to open Symantec Endpoint Protection. Note: the date of the current Definitions: is not current.
- Re-connect your computer to the internet if you disconnected it earlier.
- Click the LiveUpdate button on the left side of the Symantec Endpoint Protection screen. A screen will open showing the update progress.
- Verify the new date in the Definitions: section. The date should be within a few days of the current date.
- IT recommends that you run a full scan on your system after installing Symantec at least one a week thereafter. It is best to schedule the full scan during a time when you will not be using your computer as the scan can be very resource intensive.
- Close the Symantec Endpoint Protection screen.