Why Single Sign-On?
- Reduces the number of passwords a user has to remember and change before they expire.
- Reduces the risk of identity theft by limiting the number of password stored on or off campus.
- Provides a consistent login page that works on all browsers to connect to nearly all USF applications.
- Provides consistent pages for changing or resetting your password.
- Allows for better audit controls and management of resource availability.
- Users can login once and switch applications without having to login again (within the allowable time 2 hours).
- Most applications/services are easier to integrate, and often can be plugged in for other services on campus.
- By utilizing Shibboleth capability to the authentication services, USF has been able to create strategic partnerships with institutions like InCommon, Microsoft (Dreamspark), AlcoholEdu, and soon the National Institutes of Health (NIH).