Activating & Selecting
Your NetID is your key to USF applications. It is also the name portion of your email address, so consider the choices carefully. NetID value must have a minimum of 3 alphabetic-only characters, optionally followed by up to 9 more alpha-numeric-only characters (to a total NetID length of 12). Remember that this excludes dashes, dots, and blanks.
New NetID values are to be selected from a generated list of choices, including:
- First letter Firstname + Lastname
- First letter Nickname + Lastname
- Firstname + first letter Lastname
- Lastname + first letter Firstname
- Lastname + first letter Nickname
- First letter Firstname + first letter Middlename + Lastname
- First letter Firstname + first letter Middlename + first letter Lastname
- First letter Lastname + first letter Middlename + first letter Firstname
- Firstname + Lastname
- Nickname + Lastname
- Firstname + Middlename + Lastname
Create Your Account
- In Internet Explorer (or other web browser), go to https://netid.usf.edu
- Click on 'Activate Your USF NetID'
- Enter your First Name
- Enter your Last Name
- Enter your USF ID# in the box provided. (Your USF ID# looks similar to U12345678).
If you do not know your USF ID# (also referred to as a U#), click the link 'Lookup
your USF ID Number':
- Enter your Birthdate (mm/dd/yyyy)
- Enter your Social Security Number
- Enter the value displayed in the Captcha box.
- Click 'Submit'
- Your USF ID# will be displayed. Please write down your USF ID# so you can enter it once you return to the previous page.
- Click on 'Close USF ID Number Lookup' in the upper left corner of dialogue window.
- Enter your USF ID#
- Enter your Birthday (month and day)
- Enter your last 4 digits of your SSN
- Click on 'Activate NetID'
- Read the USF Computer and Network Access Agreement; click on 'I agree'
- Select a Net ID from the drop down menu. The NetID you select will be used as the prefix for your email address, so please choose carefully. (For example: NetID= rockybull Email= email@example.com)
- Click on 'Select this Net ID for Activation'
- From the drop down menu, select a 'Secret Question' and type your answer in the field provided. The secret question/answer is used to verify your identity if you ever forget your password.
- Click on 'Submit your answer to your chosen secret question'
- Read and complete the USF Emergency Notification System process by opting in/out of receiving emergency notifications.
- Click on 'Submit'
- Set your password and retype it to verify. This password will be synchronized with your Active Directory/Domain (FOREST) password upon creation of your AD account, if applicable, based on your affiliation with USF.
- Click on 'Submit your new USF NetID password'
- You will then be presented with an Accounts Summary page that you may want to print for future reference.
- Click on 'Return to Main Menu' to manage other items using your NetID.
- Once you have completed all activities, please click on 'Logoff' to end your session.
- Close your browser.
Your NetID should now be set up. Users who have previously activated their NetID will be prompted to change their password.