USF Chapter of the NAI
Benefits of Joining the NAI
- Honors, encourages and publicly recognizes academic inventors who hold patents, including faculty, graduate students, staff, alumni and affiliates.
- Encourages the disclosure of intellectual property and the translation of inventions to benefit society.
- Promotes and enhances the development and commercialization of university patents and innovations.
- Provides a vehicle by which to encourage change in the culture at the university (if having a patent does not currently count toward promotion and tenure).
- NAI connection with the USPTO, the National Inventors Hall of Fame, and the Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM).
- Provides a mechanism for potentially enhancing innovation both locally and nationally.
- Promotes interdisciplinary groups for fostering new ideas.
- Provides the opportunity to publish in Innovation and Technology, Journal of the National Academy of Inventors.
- Provides a mechanism for developing relevant invention-based activities, such as workshops or symposia on innovation and invention, in collaboration with the university's technology transfer, Patents & Licensing administration.
- Encourages creative thinking, a spirit of innovation and promotes entrepreneurship.
- Puts the chapter in a position to provide advice and guidance to new and existing inventors in their work.
- Enhances the visibility of university technology development, promotes entrepreneurship and provides a means to be advocates for university innovation in the local community.
- Creates a resource for the local university area community to facilitate greater industry research contracts and interactions with companies and organizations in order to increase economic impact.
- Helps shape society by being in a position to understand the translational use of inventions at the university and elsewhere; and to be a role model in such endeavors for students, staff and faculty.
- Provides social networking among members.
- Listing of chapter members names on the website including listing members' patents.
- Provides a means to recognize and honor others important to innovation at the university through honorary membership.
- Provides an opportunity to educate and mentor innovative students.
- National publicity via press releases through the NAI about the chapter.
- Specially designed NAI lapel pins provided for all inventor members.