7. Financial / Tech Admin
(Financial / Technical Administration Process)
- DRA assists the PI with the appropriate administration of the project by serving as
a knowledgeable resource for the PI in the interpretation and application of rules,
policies, and procedures.
- PI/DRA internally tracks budget, encumbrances, salary and subcontract commitments,
- PI initiates and DRA coordinates recruitment efforts and personnel appointments of
individuals hired, continued, or terminated on project.
- PI/DRA submits payroll distributions for personnel on project.
- PI/DRA processes 3rd Party Payment Request for students working on project as approved
in the budget.
- PI/DRA ensures that travel is authorized, expended and reimbursed according to University and sponsor policies
- PI/DRA makes purchases and incurs expenses on the project as allowable according to
University and sponsor policies and procedures.
- DRA processes receipt of goods according to USF policy and Florida Statute for prompt
vendor payment (within 5 days of receipt of goods and services).
- If grant/contract includes a subcontract, PI/DRA reviews subcontract terms and monitors
subrecipient billing and deliverables for compliance. PI reviews and approves subcontractor
invoices and submits for payment.
- DRA ensures that ledgers are reconciled on a monthly basis and investigates any discrepancies.
DRA provides monthly financial reports to the PI and assists in monitoring encumbrances
and expenditures to ensure accurate and appropriate charging is taking place.
- PI/DRA prepares documents and provides justification to Sponsored Research for rebudgeting,
- PI/DRA tracks cost sharing commitment to ensure commitment is met.
- DRA reviews Remaining Spending Authority (RSA) Check on biweekly basis to ensure payroll
distributions are correct prior to payroll posting.
- DRA prepares and submits expenditure transfers, as appropriate, through RNS (Right
- DRA reviews and adjusts, as necessary, PERT reports for department and compares the
calculated effort based on pay distribution to committed effort.
- PI provides sponsor with deliverables and non-financial reports as outlined in award
terms and conditions. In the role of supporting the PI, the DRA may be involved in
facilitating timely submission.
- PI/DRA provides information to Sponsored Research Post Award on pending transactions
not yet posted to FAST; Sponsored Research Post Award provides sponsor with financial
- PI/DRA/Sponsored Research/Sponsor discusses any re-negotiations of terms and conditions
of award. Sponsored Research requests sponsor approval, when required, and notifies Sponsored
Research Post Award as appropriate.
- PI prepares carry forward requests as needed; Sponsored Research submits requests
to sponsor and notifies Sponsored Research Post Award.
- PI/DRA provides documentation for audit requests, as needed.