Fall 2017 - General Closing Information
- Residents are expected to vacate the halls within 24 hours of their last final exam.
- Residents returning to housing for the spring do not have to fully move out. However, USF ID card access to residence halls will be de-activated from noon on December 9 - January 6 at noon (except for those with approved 'break stay' housing).
- The residence halls close at noon on Saturday, December 9.
- Residence halls re-open for the spring semester at 10 a.m. on Saturday, January 6.
24-Hour Quiet Hours
Begin on Monday, November 20 at 10 p.m. Please be courteous to your peers, especially when you are packing and moving during check-out. Failure to comply with quiet hours may result in immediate dismissal from the halls.
Mail During Winter Break
- Make arrangements with anyone you anticipate will send you mail over the break to ensure mail is sent to your permanent address. If you have mail order prescriptions, please plan ahead for this University closure.
- Mail and packages are neither forwarded nor returned to sender over winter break. Please ensure packages are not mailed to your on-campus address after December 1.
- During the break, residents not returning to USF for spring 2018 will have their mail sorted and forwarded after the start of the spring semester only if residents have left a forwarding address in the Housing Portal.
- If you are leaving the University, please remember to update your forwarding address in the Housing Portal's Profile Information section. Please also update your information on OASIS.
- If you will be staying on campus during winter break, please remember to review the mail center information provided in your information section below
LOST/DAMAGED KEY CHARGES
Core Change: $50/core
Key Replacement: $15/key
Temporary Access Card: $15 if not returned
Key Tag: $10/damaged or unreturned tag
Bent Key: $6 (key should still be returned)
Note: Lost key charges will vary based on your residence hall location. You will be responsible for all keys that need to be reissued to roommates and suite/apartment mates.
- An Improper Check-Out charge of $100.00 will be assessed if you fail to check out with an RA. Other applicable damage, hauling, lost key, and cleaning charges may apply if you fail to check out of your room/apartment.
- Room Damage Charges will be assessed by your RLC/ARLC after check-out. All damages will be documented on your Room Condition Report (RCR) and charges will be determined (if applicable) and emailed to your USF email address.
Please read if you are...
- Defrost, clean and unplug your refrigerator (EXCEPT the kitchen refrigerator in Magnolia Apartments) and leave the refrigerator door open. Failure to do so may result in a wet, smelly room upon your return. NOTE: Due to the scheduled north campus power outages, all Kosove, Cypress, and Holly Apartments residents must defrost, empty, and clean the kitchen refrigerator.
- Unplug all electrical items.
- Take home fish!
- Leave your bike in your room for security. Bicycles secured to anything other than bike racks will be impounded.
- Take down all holiday decorations.
- Empty all trash and recycling materials.
- Take home all valuables including important medications.
- Take home or return rented textbooks.
- Students who are returning to their current room in the spring may leave their belongings in the room throughout the break, but will not have access during that time.
- Please sign up to check out with your RA at least 48 hours in advance of when you plan to leave.
- You will keep your keys, but your card will not have access over the break. If you are found in the halls without permission, you will be subject to student conduct action.
- Leave the air conditioning on HIGH or 75 degrees and close your drapes/blinds when you leave.
- Residence halls re-open for the spring semester at 10 a.m. on Saturday, January 6. Card access will be automatically restored at this time. Your financial account must be in good standing before you move in.
- IMPORTANT: If you live in a double room and do not have a roommate at the current time, please anticipate a roommate being assigned to your room for the spring semester. Before you leave for break, please clear the room (including the vacant bed, desk, dresser, bathroom space, etc.) to allow for a new roommate to move in their belongings. If you do not move belongings from these areas, Housing & Residential Education will move them and post a charge to your student account. Staff will be entering rooms to confirm readiness for all new roommates.
Residents not returning for the spring semester must complete the checkout process on/before Saturday, December 9 at noon. This includes formally cancelling your housing contract for the spring semester; cleaning your space prior to your departure; formally checking out of your room via your RA; and returning your key(s) to your 24-hour desk. (See Section V of your Housing Contract in for cancellation information)
- Sign up for a checkout time with your RA at least 48 hours prior to when you wish to check out.
- Please remove all personal belongings from your room prior to checkout time.
- Please return all furniture to its original position. (There is a $30.00 charge to re-assemble or move furniture.)
- Please remove posters, tape/decals and residue, nails, hooks, etc. from walls, windows, and mirrors.
- Please clean your room and/or apartment thoroughly. Clean and defrost the refrigerator and clean the stove and other appliances in the apartment if applicable.
- Please remove trash and sweep/vacuum the floor. Common areas must be cleaned each time a member of the living unit checks out, otherwise cleaning charges will apply - regardless of who is responsible for clean up.
- Leave the air conditioning on HIGH or 75 degrees and close your drapes/blinds when you leave.
- Leave your mattress pad on your bed upon checkout (if applicable).
- If you are the first person in your room/suite/apartment to check out, please have your room/suite/apartment-mate present, if possible, at the time of your checkout to clarify who is responsible for any damages that might be identified.
- Turn in your room key(s) at your 24-hour desk (Holly M, The Hub, or Juniper-Poplar).
- Update your address on OASIS and in the Housing Portal at usf.edu/housing.
- Failure to complete these steps will result in an improper checkout fee of $100.00, as well as any applicable damage fees.
Residents of Holly Apartments, Magnolia Apartments, and Juniper Hall may request to stay over winter break (December 9 - January 6). The deadline to submit a Break Stay form is Wednesday, November 29 at 4 pm. Residents who fail to submit the form by this date will not be permitted to remain on campus during winter break and must find alternate accommodations.
For Students Wishing to Move Into a Break Stay Building:
- Space is limited and availability is not guaranteed. Residents are encouraged to investigate alternative winter break housing in case such housing is not available.
- Residents must submit a room change request no later than Friday, October 27, 2016. The request can be found in the Housing Portal.
- If approved to move into a Break Stay building, you must complete the Break Stay Request in the Housing Portal by 4 p.m. on Wednesday, November 29. Break Stay is not guaranteed by signing a contract in a Break Stay building.
- Residents approved for Break Stay Housing must completely move to their Break Stay Housing location by Sunday, November 5 and must remain assigned to that break assignment for the spring 2018 semester (at the cost of that new assignment).
Conditions of Break Stay include:
- Break Stay Housing is not free, nor is it already paid for in the Housing Contract. The cost is based on the style of housing you live in (please see below for break stay rates on each style of housing). This does not apply to Greek Village.
- Only residents with housing accounts in good standing are eligible (November 1 is the final fall payment due date, and December 1 is the first payment due for spring 2018). Students with fall semester balances due or those who have failed to make the December 1, 2017 (for spring 2018) payment are not eligible for Break Stay Housing.
- Residents eligible to request Break Stay Housing must complete the Break Stay Request form in the Housing Portal before 4 p.m. on Wednesday, November 29. After this date, residents are required to find alternate accommodations.
- Due to the terms of their contract:
- Greek Village residents are charged for and have access to their regular assignment through the break unless they meet the cancellation criteria (next page), in which case they must move out by December 15 at noon.
- INTO-USF students continuing for the spring 2018 semester must make winter break arrangements with the INTO-USF by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- INTO-USF students not continuing for spring 2018 must check out (including vacating their room) on/before noon on Saturday, December 9 when the halls close.
NOTICE OF ENTRY: From December 9 - January 6 housekeeping and maintenance techs will be knocking on doors then entering rooms starting at 8 a.m. to clean (perform turnover) and/or complete repairs as needed. Because this transition occurs during a limited break/holiday period, we will not be able to postpone entry. Staff will be wearing appropriate ID. We appreciate everyone's cooperation and support as we seek to prepare our residence halls for our returning residents and for new residents arriving for the spring semester.
Break Stay Rates (Based on 28 Nights for Winter Break)
Juniper Double: $832.94
Magnolia Double $832.94
Holly/Magnolia (3-4 Bedroom or Magnolia G singles) $964.71
Holly (2 Bedroom) $1,045.65
Dining Hall Information
Although residence halls are open for the break, spring meal plans will not begin until Saturday, January 6, 2018. Visit the USF Dining website for more information.
Mail Information for Winter Break Residents
For students remaining on campus during the winter break, mail will be delivered to mailboxes and mail centers. Packages will be delivered to both the North and South Campus Mail Centers for pickup from December 11 until December 22, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Please Note: No mail or packages will be delivered December 23 - January 1 while the university is closed. The North and South Campus Mail Centers will re-open on Tuesday, January 2, 2017.
Winter Break Mail Center Hours
December 11 - 22: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
December 23 - January 1: Closed
January 2 - 5: 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.
January 8: Normal hours resume