Bachelor of General Studies
BGS Admissions Process
Admission RequirementsIn order to be admitted into the Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) program, applicants must:
- Have completed 60 credit hours at a regionally accredited college or university
- Have a break in education of three years or more.
- Complete a screening process conducted by a program advisor
- Be in good standing with former educational institutions
- Meet USF general admissions standards for transfer students
- Demonstrate ability and desire to complete the degree (personal statement)
In addition, if you are a former USF student, please note the following:
*Former USF students returning must meet with a BGS advisor prior to applying for
*The BGS is not intended for currently enrolled USF students making satisfactory progress towards degree completion. BGS is not an option for students who've earned a bachelor degree and are now seeking a second bachelor degree.
Thank you for your interest in the USF Bachelor of General Studies. To complete the application process, please follow the steps below. If you need help, contact the BGS program advisor. Please refer to the table below for BGS application deadlines.
Step 1: Apply for USF Admission
|Desired Term of Entry||USF Admissions Application Deadline||File Completion Deadline||BGS Survey Deadline|
|Fall (August)||June 1st||July 15th||June 1st|
|Spring (January)||October 1st||November 15th||October 1st|
|Summer (May/June)||March 1st||April 15th||March 1st|
You must apply for undergraduate admission to the Tampa campus through the USF Office of Admissions. Expect this process to take anywhere from four to six weeks. The file completion deadline is the last day to submit paperwork (transcripts, petitions for reinstatement, conduct documentation). Students have up until the week before classes to register without paying the $100 late fee).Please note this exception: If you are already a current USF student who meets the criteria for the BGS, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or schedule an appointment: http://usfweb.usf.edu/escheduler/student.aspx You will need to submit the following documents to be considered for admission to the university:
- Complete the application for admission.
- Pay the non-refundable $30 application fee.
- Provide your official TOEFL or IELTS scores, if applicable.
- Provide your official transcript from each college or university you attended, to include military credits and CLEP scores. *Please note that review of your application will be expedited if you send your transcripts electronically.
Mail these documents to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
4202 E Fowler Avenue, SVC 1036
Tampa, FL 33620
Step 2: Select Your Concentration
You will take an active role in creating your academic program. View the concentrations available on the left navigation menu, and select the one that's right for you.
Step 3: Complete the BGS Survey
You must complete the BGS Program Survey. Expect this approval process to take up to three to four weeks. Please be sure your personal goal statement is compelling.
To be considered for admission to the program, you must submit an electronic BGS Survey, which requires text input of a brief personal statement to address the following:
- Explanation of why you are returning to college
- The challenges you may face
- Reason for interest in intended concentration
- How you plan to use your degree
- Explain why you are choosing a specific concentration (s)
Step 4: Meet with a BGS Advisor
After your survey and transcripts have been reviewed and you've received a formal letter of acceptance from admissions, please schedule an appointment with the BGS advisor for pre-orientation advising.
Note: Admissions decisions will be communicated to students via email via email@example.com