Events & Programs
Spring 2018 Undergraduate Research Conference
Watch the Video
On Thursday, April 19, 2018, the Office for Undergraduate Research will host the OUR
Undergraduate Research Conference. The event will be held in the Marshall Student
Center (Ballroom and conference rooms) and will provide a venue for undergraduate
students in all disciplines to present their current research and receive feedback
from research mentors and peers.
|Presenter Application Available||early December, 2017|
|Presenter Application Deadline----DEADLINE EXTENDED!!!!||
Fri. March 23, 2018 (by 11:45 p.m.)
|Notification of Acceptance||by Wed. March 21, 2018|
|Submit Poster File to the OUR||Sun. April 8, 2018 (by 11:45 p.m.)|
|Undergraduate Research Conference||Thurs. April 19, 2018|
|Conference Prep Seminars||Scheduled in Feb., March 2018|
Presenters may select from three formats including Poster, Oral OR Arts Presentations
Posters must be sized to 32 inches (h) by 44 inches (w). Display pushpins will be supplied by the OUR.
NOTE: IF YOUR ABSTRACT IS ACCEPTED FOR PRESENTATION THE OUR WILL PRINT YOUR POSTER!
YOU WILL RECEIVE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS REGARDING HOW TO PREPARE AND SUBMIT YOUR POSTER
FILE TO THE OUR FOR PRINTING ONCE YOUR ABSTRACT IS ACCEPTED FOR PRESENTATION. INSTRUCTIONS
ARE ALSO LISTED BELOW.
Instructions for Submitting a Poster File to the OUR
Poster files must be submitted to the OUR by Sun. April 8,2018 and in accordance with the file specifications indicated below. NO EXCEPTIONS!
NOTE: The OUR will NOT print your poster or cover printing costs if...
1) You submit your file to the OUR AFTER the submission deadline: Sun. April 8, 2018 (by 11:45pm)
2) Your file does not meet the file specifications (size) - 32 inches (h) by 44 inches (w)
We recommend that you use one of these TEMPLATES to create your poster.
Instructions for Saving Your Poster File and Submitting Your File to the OUR
1) Once you have created your poster using the PowerPoint template, convert ("save as") the file to a high resolution pdf for printing (300 DPI or greater).
2) "Name" the pdf file as follows: Last Name_First Name. Here is an example: Piazza_Lisa.
3) Submit your file via the ONLINE SUBMISSION FORM. NOTE: A link to the form will be provided in the conference acceptance e-mail ( Presenters will receive this message by March 21,2018).
For questions about the poster submission process contact Lisa Piazza.
Due to space limitations, the number of oral presentations will be limited. Oral presentations will run no more than 15 minutes in duration including questions.
Studio/Visual/Performing Arts Presentations
If you are presenting a studio/visual arts (painting, photography, installation, etc.),or performing arts (theatre, music, dance) project you may select from TWO presentation formats:
- Oral Presentation: Oral presentations will run no more than 15 minutes in duration including questions. During the oral presentation you will discuss your work along with images/videos of your work.
- Studio/Visual/Performing Arts Presentation: You will display or perform your art piece (painting, photograph, drawings, theatre, dance, music, etc.). You will also create a research poster, which will be displayed with your work. The poster must not exceed 32″(h) by 44″(w). Note: The OUR will print your poster.
Need help preparing your poster or oral presentation? Attend an OUR Conference Preparation Seminar. Register
Research in Excellence Awards: The OUR will grant approximately twenty Research in Excellence Awards during the UR Conference.
Poster Sessions will be held in the MSC Ballroom
Poster Session 1: 10:30am-12:00pm
Poster Session 2: 1:00pm-2:30pm
Poster Session 3:30pm-5:00pm
Poster Session 4: 6:00pm-7:30pm
Oral Sessions will be held in conference rooms on the third floor of the MSC
Oral Sessions A,B,C: 2:30pm-3:30pm
Oral Sessions D,E,F: 5:00pm-6:00pm
Do you have a passion for student success? Serve as an UR Conference Facilitator!
The OUR is currently accepting applications from USF faculty, staff, graduate students, postdocs and alumni who want to serve as Facilitators during the 2018 Undergraduate Research Conference. The UR Conference will be held on Thursday April 19, 2018 in the USF Marshall Student Center. Facilitators will engage with student presenters ( between 6-8) and complete a short feedback rubric. The primary role of facilitators is to provide support and useful feedback to student presenters (This is NOT a judging role). Facilitators do not need to be content experts, however, they must possess a high level of enthusiasm and strong interest in undergraduate research. The OUR will provide "best practices".
On the Day of the conference facilitators will:
- Enthusiastically engage with student presenters and provide feedback (via a short online form). Participation in multiple sessions is welcome!
- Complete an electronic event feedback form
Conference Class Visits
This initiative fosters greater student awareness of, and excitement about, undergraduate research opportunities at USF. Faculty may register one or more of their courses to attend oral or poster presentations. Participation is open to any undergraduate course. General education courses and courses targeting first- and second-year undergraduates are strongly encouraged to participate.
THE DEADLINE FOR CLASS REGISTRATION IS APRIL 16, 2018
Information for Faculty
To register a class for this initiative:
What the OUR Will Provide
On the Day of the Conference the OUR will:
- Check in your students and track attendance
- Provide each student with a copy of the Engagement Questionnaire
- Provide instructions for completing the questionnaire and interacting with at least 2 student presenters.
- Collect completed questionnaires
After the Conference the OUR will:
Send faculty a list of class attendees and scanned copies of the completed questionnaires.
2018 CONFERENCE SPONSOR: RESEARCHONE
ResearchOne is a celebration of research-related activities and events that showcase
the work of our researchers throughout the USF System. From its beginnings as a single
week of events in the Fall of 2008, ResearchOne has expanded to promote USF research-related
events and activities year-round, on all USF campuses.
Fall 2017 Undergraduate Research (UR) Conference
On Mon. Oct. 9, 2017 the Undergraduate Research Society (URS) hosted the inaugural
Fall Undergraduate Research Conference. Part of Homecoming Week celebrations, this
student-led conference provided a venue for undergraduate scholars to present their
current research, and receive feedback from the USF community. The conference also
featured a graduate school and internship fair. The event was sponsored by the Office
for Undergraduate Research.