STEM Academy LLC
What is it?
The STEM Living Learning Community (LLC) is a stimulating living learning environment that was created to meet the needs of incoming first-year STEM Academy Scholars interested in various science, technology, engineering, and math areas. The goals of the STEM LLC are to assist Scholars in achieving academic and personal success, fostering university and STEM field retention, and also supporting the expansion of the nation's STEM workforce by equipping graduates to assume positions in industry, the academy, and beyond. The STEM LLC is open to all Scholars who participated in the USF-HHMI STEM Academy program.
Where is the LLC and how many Scholars are involved?
The STEM Academy LLC will be housed in the Cypress B residence. For 2017, the STEM LLC will be capped at 80 Scholars. Applicants must request the STEM LLC when completing the STEM Academy application AND ALSO MUST APPLY FOR THE STEM LLC THROUGH THE OFFICIAL USF HOUSING APPLICATION.
What to expect?
STEM LLC Scholars will have access to out-of-class activities designed help engage them in the learning process and further develop a sense of community with their peers, graduate students and STEM faculty. Older students in the same area of interest will serve as peer mentors for each group and this will provide a unique student perspective as the Scholars transition to college. This LLC is a great option for Scholars interested in confronting many of the complex, global problems facing us today such as: emerging diseases, energy sustainability, and climate change. Careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) will play a crucial role to address these and other problems. Scholars in the STEM LLC have the opportunity to take advantage of early opportunities for starting their undergraduate research. The vision is that living in the STEM Academy LLC will be a great way for Scholars to continue the connections they established during the STEM Academy program and also build additional connections with experienced undergraduates, faculty and staff. Participating in the STEM LLC will assist Scholars in navigating challenging first-year courses, making life-long friendships helping explore opportunities around research and connecting to career opportunities.
What will you do?
Some of the activities and events Scholars could be involved in as part of the STEM LLC include:
- Participate in academic activities on campus and at other scientific facilities in the region
- Tutoring in subjects such as math, chemistry, and English in the LLC residence hall.
- Interactive meetings and events with faculty and professionals
- Presentations and workshops on academic involvement, civic engagement, research opportunities, career exploration, CV/résumé building and interviewing
- Meals with faculty and LLC staff
- Group social activities
- Ability to learn about classes, programs of study, internships, research and career opportunities
- Formation of study groups with other LLC students and study areas within the residential community with tables and white boards
- Ability to attend informal STEM seminars and workshops held in the residential community
- Small group meetings with faculty and distinguished guests
- STEM related field trips
- Opportunities to closely interact with individuals working in related areas or professions
- Programming designed to enhance academic success (e.g., time management, study skills)
- Engage in creative activities to enhance critical thinking and problem solving