Visiting Assistant Instructor
Jan Melnik is a Visiting Assistant Instructor of English in the College of Arts and Sciences, Professional & Technical Communication. She teaches Professional Writing, Expository Writing, and Professional and Technical Editing. She holds two undergraduate degrees in business management from the University of Maryland and Bay Path University and earned her Master of Arts degree in the Humanities from Wesleyan University.
Jan is the Chief Career Strategist and principal of Absolute Advantage, a private career-management practice specializing in C-suite job-search, executive coaching, and career transition. She founded the firm in Connecticut in 1983 and established her Sarasota office several years ago. Jan serves on the board of directors of Career Thought Leaders and speaks frequently on topics related to job search, social media, LinkedIn, and careers on NBC and at industry and university conferences nationwide. She is the author of 10 books, including her newest title released in November 2020, Modernize Your Executive Job Search. The book is complemented by a six-part audio podcast series.
- Melnik, J. and Kursmark, L. (2020). Modernize Your Executive Job Search. Wilmington, NC: Emerald Career Publishing.
- Melnik, J. (2016). Adventures in the Wooded Glen. North Charleston, SC: CreateSpace.
- Melnik, J. (2014). Telling Tales: On Merlin’s Island. North Charleston, SC: CreateSpace.
- Melnik, J. (2007). One-Hour College Application Essay: Write Your College Admission Essay Today. Indianapolis: JIST.
- Melnik, J. and Kursmark, L. (2006). Executive’s Pocket Guide to ROI Resumes and Job Search. Indianapolis: JIST.
- Melnik, J. (1997). How to Start a Home-based Resume Business (2nd ed.). Guilford, CT: Globe Pequot Press.
Area of Specialty
Professional Writing, Expository Writing, and Professional and Technical Editing