

Meeting Minutes

Part 1

In Attendance: Deni Elliot, Paul Wang, Casey Peterson, David Snyder, Loretha Cleveland, Casey Frechette, Monica Ancu, Mark Walters, Mary Shedden, Donna Smith, David Snyder, Joseph Gamble, Janet Keeler

Topics of discussion:

- Welcomes
- Departmental/College syllabus expectations
- AEJMC accreditation / ALC requirements
- Kappa Tau Alpha
- Internships

Part 2

In Attendance: Deni Elliot, Paul Wang, Casey Peterson, David Snyder, Loretha Cleveland, Casey Frechette, Monica Ancu, Mark Walters

MW: DL / Canvas initiatives. We now have a fully-functioning studio, with green-screen, etc. We have a teleprompter, a new set. This is a resource to take advantage of as you put your courses online. Edgardo (DJD technical director) and Chris (Campbell) work in the studio. Edgardo's working on setting up

LC: Do we have video cameras we can take out, for documentaries, etc.?

DE/PW: The department has equipment that can be checked out for various purchases.

MW: If you have a guest speaker, don't miss an opportunity to have them swing by the studio to capture a conversation, etc..

DE: How to schedule?

CP: Contact Casey P.

DS: Last fall a conversation was given to a graduate class, not sure what happened to the recording.

MW: Who recorded?

DS: Ren.

MW: Wasn't a DJD studio production.

DS: There's a show called web theory with two people talking via Skype. Is there a way we can do this for our classes?

MW: Easy to record, has a link to send to do this, to record both sides. Sometimes the audio/video can get out of sync, but it's workable.

DS: The recording could be part of the lesson that students use.

MA: I used Skype during the summer to project an image onto the image, live, as part of a face-to-face class.

MW: Canvas and BB will run parallel, BB will be around for 15 months, as per the current plans. Goal is to sign Canvas contract this semester. If not, next semester is the goal. Either way, Canvas will be used for DJD for sure this fall.

PW: Can I use Canvas for my class of 43?

MW: We have a 200-student limit under our contract, but it's possible.

AC: Emailed Glen about setting up a session, with 36 students enrolled.

MW: Send me the name of the class and I'll add up how close we are to the cap.

DE: How will students know where to go?

MW: If we're using Canvas this semester, when students sign in, they'll see the course in Blackboard, and we should add a simple redirect message to get folks from Blackboard to Canvas.

DE: Everyone teaching in Canvas needs to

MA: When you publish a course in Canvas, alerts go out to students.

MW: We have our own instructional designer – Elizabeth Hanna – fulltime for our department. 100% JMS effort for two years.

DE: What about Bob's digital democracy?

MW: No longer Bob's – Donovan Merrie has been hired as an adjunct to teach in the Spring.

LC: NNB – I'm forming partnerships in the community to develop fresh ideas about how to cover community news and to get students more involved, especially with nonprofits. I've required this, and it's been effective and generated more stories not just about individuals but businesses. Several civic engagement projects are coming

up this semester – Thanksgiving baskets, students seem to throw away a lot at the end of the semester, so we’re going to do a flea market in coordination with Residence Hall. A committee from NNB will put this together. (Won’t be on campus.)

LC: Setting up computers at NNB (ready to move), locks have been accessed. Campus IT has said they don’t support Macs. Computer Services won’t set this up. Edgardo has donated his van for moving, and Ren has volunteered to help setup.

The website – we’re doing a more interactive websites, a major project Ren is taking on. Plan to start with online publication this semester. A print version was created by a student, and we’re ready to convert it to online. I want it to be more a department project as opposed to an NNB project. NNB is a project of the department, not just me, and I need help and need input. I want everyone to come on board and help it happen.

DE: What specifically are you looking for?

LC: Stories and technical assistance. There’s a possibility to generate revenue with this, but we have to be careful about how we move forward. Students can only go so far, and we need more help.

We don’t want things to develop and just go away. Should help with recruiting and a lot of other things.

DE: Any chance to feed content from classes?

PW: We’ve done it in the past. There are some challenges, but it’s doable.

LC: I invite all of you to get out in the community and do things. Mt. Sian is the biggest African American church here. If we want to do any kind of workshops, etc., they’re hungry to get support, and we could lead that for the campus more so than any one else.

AC: Any interest in a workshop on social media?

LC: That would be terrific. Whatever we can do will go a long way.

DE: University said computers can’t be donated?

LC: Bob and talked and we think it’s doable, but we don’t know the process. Older NNB computers probably will just go to the curb given their age. The old computers from the Mac lab that don’t get given to faculty are the ones under consideration.

LC: For the first time, we have a new entrepreneurial class. Students will go off-site and meet with the Small-business Association and attend workshops. Also partnering with Chamber of Commerce.

MW: USFSP has a new website, and they're looking for bloggers. They've sent us an email looking

DE: How about a grad student?

LC: Is Wendy still here?

DE: Yes, I'll have here talk with Mark about whom to talk to about doing the department blog.

MW: I'll send Michel's email.

MA: Maybe we find a way to track what's going on.

MW: Casey P.'s working on getting the calendar active again.

AC: Maybe we can setup reminders out of the calendar.

DS: This summer, I moderated a forum and sent an email. Is this the kind of info we want to capture?

ALL: Yes.

DE: Two goals: Tell us what we should know about to get involved. Document what we've been up to.

MW: Wendy could even do some video blogging.

DS: If I have a guest speaker, should this go on the calendar?

PW: I've posted this sort of thing on the myJMS website.

MA: Trying to model undergrad program after grad program – do more orientation, compile a handbook. I'm going to try to put together a handbook and advise undergrads more, solve scheduling issues around classes (make sure there's a good rotating schedule). The goal is to have the handbook done by the time they have to register for spring classes.

DE: Veteran's Day.

MA: If you think of anything you want to put in the handbook about undergrad classes you're teaching, etc., please let me know, and I'll be in touch.

PW: I'll share the grad handbook. There are some pieces you may be able to use.

DE: Just as Paul is riding herd on grads, Monica is doing the same on the undergrads. We're going to plot out a two-year curriculum to make sure everything students need happens.

MA: Any undergrad problems around registration, etc., send to me. Except permits – send to Casey P.

DE: Hoping there are at least three people in department who can issue permits and three who have master keys.

DE: We're trying to standardize senior seminar and get all faculty involved with a rotating teaching schedule. Faculty should participate in portfolio presentations to give students practice.

The exit exam is being worked on. Faculty members will be asked to contribute

PW: Bob's teaching this?

DE: Bob is course director. We're all contributing. If anything's not okay, please contact Bob.

PW: I may need to reschedule my session.

DE: No problem; work with Bob.

DE: This is a suggestion more than a dictate. If you have other ideas, please let me know.

LC: One issue with this class is that students earn 2 rather than 3 credits. It's a complaint that's come up.

DE: We may want to look at changing it to 3.

PW: It was setup purposefully this way.

LC: Why do some students end up needing that one extra credit?

PW: It used to be one.

DE: We'll take up next time with Bob.

PW: We admitted 9. 7 are coming. A few are on the face. Enrollment isn't ideal, but healthy.

DE: How many old?

PW: About 25. Two orientations. One university-wide, tomorrow. And a departmental orientation next Friday at 1 pm in the lounge area.. Comprehensive exams will be on Sept 17. David will do law. Bob will do theory. Deni ethics.

MW: 7 have now enrolled for the fall?

PW: Not all have responded to emails, but all in system.

MW: We have about 20 accepted out of 38. About 15 have enrolled. Between the two, not bad.

MW: Not all students are full-time. All students taking DMT and multimedia courses. Otherwise, there are different tracks depending on what sequence they go through.

PW: Not all are DJD. (Non-degree seeking.) Proposal already indicated not all courses will fill up.

DE: In talking with Frank, 20 bodies with undergrad classes, 10 with grad is the goal.

PW: I emailed grad students graduating over the summer telling them to think about ARP and thesis ideas as soon as possible. You may already have some students talking with you. The registration deadline is Friday, the 31st. We graduated 14 in Spring and 2 in the summer. So, not many graduating students for this coming semester.

DE: They have their committees formed?

PW: They're forming them.

MW: If grad students want to do web projects, send them to Edgardo for help getting setup.

PW: We have some money left in a financial aid account. We gave \$2500 to students who need the financial. We're doing this again. There's money available.

Six grad students sitting at front desk this semester. Three 2.5 hour shifts a day. You can ask for their help even if they're not your students.

PW: Casey F. doesn't have a grad assistant but can share with Paul.

DE: First week, we can mention to grad students we have some opportunities in the department, particularly for Mark's mass comm. class.

DE: Casey P is working 20 hours a week for the department, 20 hours for DL. Dean Biafora was nice enough to let me use my foundation money to fund that.

MW: Casey's very good with a lot of things – websites, content for courses.
Negotiated agreement with Poynter about supplemental journalism course.

DE: Future meetings: Still waiting for department chair meetings.

DS: Florida bar advertising grievance committee ... Loretha now a lay member
(every third Friday 11 a.m. conference call).

DE: My hope is we have faculty meeting once a month, working around Friday
committees. Office won't be open officially otherwise (on Fridays).