

April 26 Faculty Meeting

Present Mark Walters, Tony Silvia, Casey Peterson, David Snyder, Bob Dardenne, Loretha Cleveland, Monica Ancu, Casey Frechette, Deni Elliott

Absent: Paul Wang (working remote)

CF: Circulate information on competencies and assessment tracking for accreditation. Will follow up via email to get data from faculty for spring 2013.

DE: Casey Peterson is queued up to become our Academic Program Specialist. This should happen over the summer.

Two new positions coming up: Digital Journalism & Design and Media Law & Theory. We can shuffle things around in the fall, but I want to make sure we place hold these positions.

If you have anything that you're getting paid for over the summer, you need to get paperwork to Jennifer. (This may apply to regular work as well.)

Gen Ed: USFSP needs to generate our student learning outcomes. You have a copy of the draft going to the committee today. We had to find wording that works for both us and English. Both faculties have looked, we've added a visual communications element at the end.

Nothing is set in stone today, but this process moves forward.

When Morgan and I were working on the learning objectives, it came up that English is submitting just one course. We're looking at MMC 3602, Visual Communication, Social Media and MMC2100. MMC 2100 meets the overall communication outcomes.

We could move entrance exam from pre- to post- MMC 2100.

MMC2100 could be recruiting tool. We can offer multiple sections, use it as a recruitment tool, etc.

It may sense to test those skills after having a chance to teach them for a bit.

MW: Maybe pre and post?

BD: Tampa had a rule about needing a certain score to pass the course.

MW: Would we need many sections if we need to keep enrollment small?

BD: We'd need to make it more as a survey, not just focusing on one aspect of the media.

DE: More multimedia.

MA: If we make it a Gen Ed., we need to make it more broad, less journalism writing focused. On the other hand, are majors going to be prepared enough coming in to JOU 2100?

TS: Agree with Bob. My understanding is it's not all journalism writing. I've covered broadcast, feature, opinion, etc. If adjuncts will teach, seems there's a lot of oversight needed. Is there a way to take this out of the major, as an exploration course.

DE: We'd need a common syllabus, common textbook.

MA: Can we change the format to have a lecture and lab - lecture taught by one instructor, lab taught by multiple.

BD: We need to be clear on what the ACEJMC requirements are around maximum credits in major and minimum outside of major.

DE: Mark, Monica and Bob around to correspond by email about how to move this forward.

DE: Monica and Tony - entrance exam?

TS: Monica and I have been working on this, with the assumption no one is particularly satisfied with the EDT. Bob sent note suggesting we add note about noun pronoun agreement.

If students don't pass, there's a remedial period, and then they can come back and take another version of the exam. We also need to make clear some items may have multiple problems.

LC: We can use tool Poynter uses.

MA: We can do this through Canvas.

MW: Should we be a little more systematic, breaking down to punctuation, meaning, etc.

LC: What happens if we have 25 people taking the exam and we can't get enough people passing? Is it a recruiting tool or a gatekeeper?

MA: I see it as a filter.

TS: I see it as a diagnostic tool.

DE: Could be used as exit exam in MMC2100.

CF: Perhaps add as post test to senior seminar.

DE: I'll follow up on charging for test, etc.

DE: In fall, dept. chairs will be working with Dean's office for fairness and consistency around course loads and reduction, etc. There are some departments where grad/undergrad coordinators have stipends. Stay tuned. Will work on in fall.

DE: Computer loans for grad students. Grads have approached me about using iMacs downstairs. We have loan forms, and we've loaned laptops.

TS: Everything is tagged, and folks come around for an audit.

BD: But it depends on the value.

MW: Lots of potential problems with this...

DE: Bringing them to labs sounds like the best option.

BD: Loretha and I served on the media board., and Tyler Collette will be the new editor of the Crows Nest.

LC: Food for thought – I met with Carol Hixson about archiving senior seminar portfolios to the Digital Archive.

CF: I'll follow up.

MA: We should have web space for students to upload to.

MW: In the DJD program, Edgardo has a server for their projects, and afterwards we can keep a copy. This could be a possible solution for other programs.