

Meeting Minutes Sept. 14

In attendance: Deni, Paul, Casey P., Loretha, Casey F., Bob, Monica, Mark
Absent: Tony (Sabbatical)

No changes to the August 17 meeting minutes.

DE: **Monica's tenure application is complete.** Oct. 1st dept. committee reports are due – Paul, Mark and Bob need to get together. Do we get a packet back from Susan?

MA: Yes, and I also have a copy that I can provide if needed (but I don't have supplemental binder.)

DE: If you want to look at actual research, you need to go to Dean's Office. Paul, Mark, Bob, please get together to share work and get report back as soon as possible (needs to be to Dean Oct. 1).

DE: **Spring schedule is set.** Incorporating all changes from last meeting. Thanks to Casey P. for coordinating all changes. The only thing that has changed is Joseph Gamble can't teach photo class, though he is very interested. Deb Wolfe is happy to do both for us in the spring.

DE: **Field trip forms** – if you take students off campus, they need to complete field trip forms. This is the current form (handed out), and students only need one per semester per class.

LC: There was some concern about SSN on old forms.

DE: **We have \$30k in DL travel funds** – if you find a connection to something you want to go to, you can tap into these funds. There is also \$10k in non-DL funds, for the entire college. TARs happen at the dept. level and then go to the Dean's office.

MA: When we applied for online classes, there was a budget of \$8k, and college gets \$4. I don't know whether they gave us the money or not.

DE: I'm confused about course development money as well.

MA: No payment has been made yet (to me).

BD: Dept. should get \$4k for every online course developed.

DE: Let me check with Mai.

CF: Not sure about my blogging class from the past spring...was also a new online course, not sure what category it falls under.

DE: If you don't ask for DL funding, you don't get kicked into the process.

BD: But you can get money for revising courses. My understanding is faculty get what they get (not \$8, and dept gets the rest).

DE: Also confusing is course fees. It's \$50 a credit online, and we don't see the money. Our Mac Lab carries a lab fee, and we do see that money (Frank said the upgrade came from that). I'm not sure how those fees are set.

BD: Tampa was followed in a lot of that.

DE: Fill out TARs if you want to travel; as many as you can as soon as possible.

DE: We had a **campus outstanding graduating senior** a couple years ago. It would be nice to have a nomination from our dept. 3.5 GPA, 2 letters of recommendation.

BD: Chris Guinn. He's made an impact in his time here.

DE: Please get nominations to me by next week. Chris may be perfect, but let's make sure we're open to other possibilities.

DE: **Tomorrow is cleaning day**, if you have anything you need recycled. Electronics, too. Casey P., Bob and I are meeting tomorrow at 10ish.

PW: Batteries?

CP: Yup, that's technology.

CF: ***Presented an update on competencies and next steps.***

DE: Hope to find some matching from the DJD program in the onsite programs.

BD: DJD has the advantage of having all required courses covered.

DE: But we can begin mapping from the top down going forward.

BD: Competencies are one part of assessment, but there are others, including internships, e.g., that can count. The assessment plan has to assess in other areas – direct and indirect.

AC: What's the most confusing to me is what data we need and what we should be tracking – grades, grade distribution.

BD: Revisions to courses are important. They want you to say 45% of students did this, now 65% due this. New, change, results. New, change, results.

MW: We had a tool for collecting the data in Survey Monkey – if only 2% meet, there's clearly something wrong with the course, that we can go back to.

DE: What I'm hearing around the table is the easiest way to do what Bob says we need to have for the accreditors is if each of us has a survey that asks us the specific question at a time when we're looking at grades and assignments, then we're showing the competency.

BD: And it's really important at this stage in the game to see how things went last time.

BD: ALCs reveal flow year to year. Learning compacts are perfect for SACS, less so ACEJMC. If they have any travel money for accreditation, we should tap into it.

CP: I believe I have most everything in terms of syllabi, except for Deb. If any adjuncts come in wanting to get into Tony's office, the key is in the copy room. Monica, you're teaching a DJD course, yes?

AC: Yes, it was listed wrong, but the OASIS schedule is correct.

CP: I have everything else.

DE: Ok, **Kappa Tau Alpha**.

BD: We have about 185 undergrads. 42 grads are listed in both programs, but only 21 have grades. That would mean 21 in DJD and 21 in face-to-face classes. 3.82 to 3.52 is the range of GPAs among out six seniors who qualify. Of juniors, we'll invite three.

PW: I feel if we invite juniors, it doesn't make sense if they haven't taken our classes.

BD: From the grad students, counting 42, four would count.

DE: At the dept. chair meeting, Norine indicated she really wants us to get going on inductions.

BD: What would get attention? Can we get it mentioned at graduation?

DE: We have ribbons we can make sure the students get. I think KTA probably provides some kind of guidelines.

BD: But....they involve candles. If anyone has some ideas on how to do this well, please let me know.

DE: We need to do this this semester?

BD: Yes. And all past folks need to be processed by this past April.

DE: Summer schedule. According to the Dean, everyone gets at least one course (if everyone makes). We'll plan to hold JOU 2100 open.

BD: You can't get enough students in that course as a second course to make it profitable.

DE: Assume Final Projects will have low enrollment.

MW: We built that into the proposal.

LC: I have a question – if JOU2100 is a standby, since I'm teaching a course in A, can I pick up JOU21000 if it's B, especially considering there may be a difference between lecturers and instructors.

BD: One issue is the union won't let you take than Union wages, even if you tried to negotiate the pay rate on the second course.

DE: In the list of sequences, entrepreneurial journalism?

MW: Let's meet (Loretha) to discuss direction for entrepreneurial course – JOU 6503.

DE: Not sure if Final Projects in DJD can fly as a separate course.

DE: Any special issues we need to know for coding (majors only, etc.), please let us know. And, if you're teaching is onsite, please complete the form that indicates place and time preferences.

DE: Traditional grad program – Paul.

PW: We have one student taking comps at this time.

BD: Thought we had two?

PW: April didn't show up.

We have three ARP theses, final projects. Wendy is one. Rob Baynard is another. And Amy Heckler.

DE: DJD updates.

MW: We had a workshop last year that attracted some interest in our programs and applications.

Confidently, looks like we may do communicate again, with Tampa Bay Times and Pandora as co-sponsors, with the possibility of up to 200 people. A range of topics, from analytics and infographics, etc. Nov. 12, 13 or 14th from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. are tentative events, over at the student union building. But very tentative.

Also possibility of dept.-level income -- \$25 dollars a person.

DE: At dept. chairs meeting, we had a long discussion about rental rates.

MW: Another thing that's come up comes out of our work with WUSF. Final projects, for those who don't know, are quite involved. They can be content-driven, sites, apps, and more. Students are beginning now and work on this throughout the program, touching on it in various courses.

We're now working on a document in which WUSF would be among the possible outlets for projects – on air and on their website.

Don't see why this can't be opened to the face-to-face program, as well.

DE: Even at the proposal stage, students can get in touch with WUSF and work

MW: We need to be careful with quality – many probably won't make it. Students in multimedia reporting are working on a big proposal for the final project, which gets handed off to Casey F. So there's long-term investment.

DE: Let's talk about two more things briefly on the DJD front. Right now we have a moratorium on course registration between the programs, in place for this academic year, and we need to decide how long it's going to last.

MW: I'm not sure where the policy came from.

BD: It came from me; we talked about it in the faculty meeting and we decided it would be difficult to schedule on-site classes not knowing how many students would move into DJD. The idea was to get a handle on scheduling and then assess/reassess.

PW: We made some exceptions for a few students.

MW: Will we know more at the beginning of the second year, or will we have the same challenge?

AC: Aren't the classes different content-wise?

MW: Some more so than others.

DE: The possibility of combining online DJD and onsite face-to-face law courses. In talking with Dave about this, he thought it was a bad idea. More than one student has decided they want to move from a professional to academic track after entering the program.

One thing clearly different is that the DJD program is purely professional – it doesn't have the option of a thesis.

I think onsite core classes need to continue to be required for onsite masters students.

BD: Multimedia Reporting could replace for 5105 – don't even offer the face-to-face version.

MW: I see that there are certain things that don't translate from one course to another. In comparing both syllabi, there are areas of overlap. They use the same textbook, the final projects have the potential to move into alignment. Because don't want to have a forgone conclusion in search of an argument. We don't have competition in the online program, but it's going to struggle to survive two or three years down the road, as the face-to-face program will.

Difference between mixed classes is greater than difference onsite and online.

PW: I haven't seen the syllabi.

MW: Can I send those around?

DE: Two things: Whether they're very close or not, the argument for having different masters tracks argues for them being different. I don't think the decision should be made based on how the first run of an online class is constructed versus the purpose of having two programs/tracks.

I think allowing DJD classes as electives, the 5105 possibility are fantastic, but maintaining separation of two programs is also important.

LC: When we first talked about the online program, we did a survey with our grad students. They said they wanted the DJD program to be proven – they didn't want to jump ship not knowing the caliber of the program. Students expressed having taken a face to face for a reason.

I think substituting core classes in masters program with online classes may

MW: It seems to me the middle ground is to say it's your choice to students.

BD: We don't have the numbers to pull this off.

MW: But is that a protectionist approach?

AC: What are the accreditation implications?

DE: I think it's important to maintain the integrity of two tracks. One can compare students for, among other things, advanced graduate study.

MW: Seems like it's an issue of giving the customer choice.

DE: We'll get it back on the agenda and continue discussing.

DE: Monica, undergrad program.

AC: I'm working on the handbook, as discussed last time. One thing that came up in senior seminar was 'I wish I knew this when I joined the program.' In response to my presentation on electronic portfolio.

We'll do a short survey to see what else students wanted to know at the beginning.

We can begin reinforcing in our classes this semester best practices, like keeping work well organized.

In terms of advising, I was thinking I could do advising in all classes so they would know me as the undergrad coordinator. For accreditation purposes, this will create some consistent outcomes.

DE: We're trying to find out what accreditation council tells us about courses out of major.

CP: It seems we have a lot of leeway in how we match courses out of major

DE: Maybe Monica, Casey P. and I can sit down and keep working on this.

LC: Micro and macro are gone?

CP: Students can still take those, based on my conversation with Joan.

BD: We should pick what we really want, what's on our campus. Since just 2-3 are required.

CP: When we sit down to rethink this, we should keep in mind seat counts, and we should give the affected professors a heads up.

DE We want more classes more than fewer, so let's keep looking at this.

DE: Senior seminar. Bob.

DE: Last meeting, we talked about piloting a new exit exam.

BD: Make sure if you're scheduled to come in, you come in.

PW: Some portfolios have been posted online.

DE: Let you know what you need in terms of portfolio presentation / assessment. And maybe faculty should come to final presentations.

LC: I have a question about my presentation? Does it need to recap what they've gotten?

BD: It can be forward looking.

DE: We'll need more time for the conversation, but, Mark, can you give an overview of **the WUSF opportunity**.

MW: They want to set up a bureau here. It could happen as soon as January. The long term goal would be to turn it into a broadcast studio. We can make it happen without any cost initially. Plus, Deni, your program...

DE: I did a two-minute ethics program on KFUM that was syndicated. Having the office here would make it possible for faculty to do work with the station.

MW: Next step I think is to form a proposal, assuming we think it's a good idea.

DE: One thing I'd like to think about is how we can draw connections between WUSF and NNB.

MW: We've talked about it and it looks like a good connection point to WUSF.

DE: I want to make sure it's going to be a presence, online and elsewhere.

CP: I don't think it'll be a problem given what Michel Fogoures is up to on the campus site.

MW: WUSF is worried about falling behind. They want to align themselves with our students and our programs.

LC: I think this could be an addition or expansion of NNB, which is already strong. We're a group, team, and department, and we want to strengthen what we already have. It keeps it community, community focused, and connected to the larger community beyond campus. Students ask all the time why they have to go off campus. They understand by the end of the class.

DE: Some of the issues have to do with the technology may limit where the studio can go.

LC: Can it be housed at NNB?

MW: WUSF wants to cover all of Pinellas, so probably not an option.

MW: I'm pessimistic about the online program, given competition coming online. We need to think about certificates, and I'll send out some talking points on this.

DE: Congratulations again to Monica on submitting her tenure packet!