

**JMS Fall 2015  
Faculty Meeting Minutes**

*Meeting 2: Oct. 2, 2015*

**In Attendance:**

1. Mark Walters
2. Casey Peterson
3. Casey Frechette
4. David Snyder
5. Bernardo
6. Janet Keller
7. Tony Silvia
8. Monica Ancu
9. Jason Morris

**Absent:**

1. Deni Elliott (Research Leave)

MW: Do we have a motion to accept the meeting minutes?

TS: Motion

JK: Second

*All agree.*

MW: All in agreement with the proposal to amend the internship policy?

CF: Motion

BM: Second

MW: All in agreement?

*All agree.*

MW: We need to review and fill out our assigned faculty duty form. Here's Jason Morris to help walk us through this process.

JM: Ideally, six weeks prior to assignments beginning, chair deliver teaching, research and service expectations. This gets entered into FAIR. We're using a paper form this

At end of term, you certify that you have done the work in the system.

The key in filling the form is to get the numbers to add to 100 and count everything, using whole numbers.

MW: Let's try to get them in this morning.

DS: In terms of service assignment, does graduate coordinator count here?

JM: If you're getting a course reduction, then it can be counted here. Otherwise, it's a separate form.

MW: How do sponsored efforts work?

JM: If it's part of normal load (expected), then it goes in here.

MA: I usually start with courses since that's easier to quantify and then work through the rest.

JM: The system won't compute output if there's missing data. That's why it's so important to complete everything and get the numbers adding up.

CF: Any guidance on quantifying research efforts?

JM: You can do it based on 40 hour FTE workweek -- 10 hours per week would be 25%.

~

MW: Let's look at the item on changing elective requirements.

MA: My recommend is on pages 7-8 of the handout. One mandatory change is adding Phil 2010 to the list of electives. The only other option won't be offered any more. Another change is to add arts courses to the list. We're looking for courses that can count for our students in other ways, for example, as exit requirements.

CP: These are all proposed adds?

MA: Yes propose keeping and adding with this list. Even keep the one that goes away, just in case it comes back.

MW: Do you know the next step?

MA: If we approve, paperwork is needed and it is a form to change the program.

CP: Updated catalog copy also needed when this is submitted.

TS: Are we confident the departments can handle the additional influx of students?

MA: Yes, I contacted the chairs and they said yes.

CF: Let's sit down and map our professional competencies to the elective courses.

MW: Motion to accept recommendations?

BM: Motion

JK: Second

MW: All in favor?

*All agree.*

*CF: Provides an update and handout on self study, with focus on standards 3 and 4.*

~

MW: Please see attached a proposal from Mike Killenberg.

CP: This is an annual award with a plaque, but no monetary award.

DS: My only comment would be to not require an award every year. It should be completely merit-based.

JK: We might want to know how many people we have on the selection committee.

MW: I'll add these suggestions and get it back to Mike.

DS: Motion

CF: Second

MW: All in favor?

*Group agrees.*

JK: We have an opportunity for the Florida Food Conference for some high-profile speakers, including James Beard-award winners. Could have a VIP ticketed meet and greet at the Museum of Fine Arts St. Petersburg.

An exciting proposition.

Very close to getting a sponsor for the Food for Thought conference/lecture series.

Proposal for Food Writing and Photography minor moves forward, but many of the classes need to be moved out of special topic status to move that forward.

Dave and I are working a bit on the curriculum for Food Writing and Photography certificate. I think the curriculum is limiting, and we're talking about how to tweak this.

DS: It's a 15-hour certificate now. Four of five are required courses. To take in more, we're thinking of making more of the courses electives.

BM: In my environmental journalism class next year, there might be some natural connections to writing about food. Also some possible connections to NNB (food desert, accessibility, restaurants, etc.).

JK: When the site team comes to visit, can we put some things on the bulletin board downstairs.

MA: Two quick updates: I had about 14 students show up for orientation. I plan to do this every semester.

MA: We've had a bad plagiarism case already this semester. Casey submitted an email to all students with details on the policy and consequences. I'm suggesting we make this a routine process for every plagiarism case. Case is referred to chair and the appropriate coordinator. A meeting is held, followed by a letter documenting the situation. On first offense, letter stays here. Second offense, it goes forward.

CF: We could include the policy as a flier or on the wall in the lounge area.

~

DS: You've all been reading about the Bill Young building in Tampa I'm sure. We may have a campus conversation around this. Let me know from a journalistic viewpoint how we might participate. Could be a very interesting conversation. The Marine Sciences building is named after him.

TS: The book proposal Monica and I have out on Social Media has been very positively received. We're talking to Wiley Blackwell.

CP: Hearst Awards are coming around again. Rob Hooker has overseen the past few years. We need someone to pick up the ball where he left off. It would involve vetting stories from classes from students. Different categories. We get \$100 per submission as a department.

~

MW: So, MA, CP and TS will work on APC submission. Everyone, work on Assigned Faculty Duties form. Touch up work on Self Study. I'll get back to Mike. We'll work on adding to the bulletin board. I'll send out on Basecamp.

MW: Thanks everyone.