

## **JMS Faculty Meeting Minutes**

Jan. 15, 2016

In Attendance:

1. Deni Elliott
2. Mark Walter
3. Casey Frechette
4. Chris Campbell
5. Janet Keeler
6. David Snyder
7. Karlana June
8. Bernardo Motta
9. Tony Silvia
10. Casey Peterson
11. Monica Ancu

DE: For most of today, we'll focus on our upcoming ACEJMC meeting. Casey F. will talk about content issues in a moment. First, some housekeeping notes.

The team arrives on Saturday. Sunday, the official visit starts. Monday all day and Tuesday all day we all need to be here. The have exit interviews with me and Sophia Wednesday.

Monday lunch: They will meet with faculty from other departments and from professionals in town. I'll circulate lists of professionals, outside faculty and alumni. Please review and add input.

DE: We'll have them in the Florida Humanities conference room -- private but close by.

CP: Worst case scenario, we'd have a printer they can plug into.

MA: What if we set up one computer connected to a printer?

DE: I'll see if they want to use their computers or ours. We'll get some basic supplies stocked up for them.

9:30 a.m. Monday is a chance to meet with students from all sequences. Get students to PRW 107.

Tuesday from 9 to 10 a.m., the team meets with students from individual sequences/tracks -- DJD, JMS masters, and undergrad.

All grad students should be at the Monday meeting. Please do whatever you can to get students, preferably to both, but certainly on Monday.

TS: 123 is open Tuesday mornings it seems.

DE: We can also use the lounge downstairs, and this room. 107 for undergrads and 123 for JMS.

I'd like to talk to Joel about what classes they might like to visit. Race and Gender and Beginning Reporting are both good possibilities.

Kaplan leaves at 12:15 p.m. Fancher leaves at 4:17 p.m. Barrett leaves at 5:10 p.m.

JK: I'll take Kaplan.

DS: I'll take the others.

## **PROJECTS IN PROGRESS**

### **Vis. Comm. Asst. Prof. Search**

MW: First meeting for Vis. Comm. faculty position on 20th. We got about 30 applications, and we have narrowed it down to seven.

DE: The seven applicants are very impressive.

MW: The great challenge is finding the mix of strong academic and applied.

MW: Jennifer, Bernardo, Casey P, Pegie Stark Adam are on the committee. Replacing some of Monica's strength in design would be good.

JK: How about Ren LaForme?

MW: Sounds good. Will reach out.

DE: How about grad students?

MW: None right now.

### **Lab Hours for Spring Term**

CP: The schedule for the lab is up on the website. It will be open when there's no class in 107. Only open at night Mondays and Tuesdays (5 to 6 p.m.).

## **Media and Technology Living Learning Community**

MA: A more succinct name might work better, but we have until March to finalize. Community will be capped at 10 students, at least for the first year. They'll live together on the same floor in the residence hall. It's a year-long program. They'll take our courses, two per semester.

I'm suggesting we develop a course on mobile communication. We don't have that and need it, plus there's room in the curriculum.

At present, students need to wait two years to take both blogging and social media, but if we move them around, students can take both sooner.

On campus events is another component. We can do something fun in the fall when they come in as freshman -- a film screening, a workshop, etc. In the spring, we can do more heavy stuff -- a research project, for instance.

We may be able to pull these students into the major or minor.

## **Plagiarism Policy**

MA: We started last semester with a plagiarism case in the first week. We met with the student and explained our concerns. There was some back and forth, but the student did admit to not taking photos she claimed to be her own. I wrote a letter that documented the incident and follow up and then outlined next steps. There was a zero on the assignment and a letter grade reduction on the class. The letter stays in the permanent file. On second incident, it gets submitted to the dean of students.

We decided this would be the standard process when dealing with these cases.

DE: Policy sounds good. Let's make sure it's written out and on syllabi every semester. We need to make sure the right to appeal is also spelled out.

We had talked about having a unit in MMC 2100 on plagiarism and attribution.

MA: We had a meeting and we talked about communicating with students and pointing out the differences between proper and improper attribution. We have sections on both academic and journalistic approaches.

DE: Let's make sure educational materials are accessible to all students.

For MMC 2100, we've tried to move toward a common curriculum, and I think this unit should be part of it.

DS: Let's send a note about plagiarism/attribution to all students at the beginning of every semester.

## **Diversity**

DE: Remember to include the diversity plan in all our syllabi. Glad to hear meeting with Lillian went well. Let's continue to think about this and continue to find ways to incorporate diversity into our teaching.

All Mondays in February, I'm having different speakers come in to talk about local African American communities and issues. 6 - 6:30 p.m. or so. 107.

## **Syllabus Template**

CF: Provides update.

## **ONA**

CF: Provides update.

## **KTA**

TS: Many of us are members. We're going to do inductions at the end of the year. Admission is based on GPA and it's percentage based.

## **QM**

DS: My online digital law and ethics class went through an internal review. I got some good feedback, but after I went through the feedback, I realized they had checked an older copy of the class. I informed them, and they said they'd take the current course. I sent in August and that's the last I've heard.

MA: Mine should be on the schedule for the fall and should be certified by fall. Should go to external reviewers in Feb. or March.

CF: My Web Publishing course has undergone internal review. I need to review, make some changes, and kick it back to them.

## **Data Journalism Courses/Programs**

CF: Paul and I had some conversations about an Intro to Programming gen ed class, and I think there's a lot of merit to following up on this. I'll pursue.

## **STANDING DEPARTMENTAL REPORTS**

### **Internships**

TS: We now have a dedicated internship email account -- internships@

We send an auto reply to students, and I get a copy.

After they follow the process, they get in touch with me and follow the internship learning contract.

This is a good way to streamline the process and provide a quick reply.

We also have competencies for internships which we will institutionalize on the website. And, they're part of the assessment process now.

I'm part of a workgroup on campus.

By close of business today, we'll have 8 or 9 folks. For fall/spring, we're in double digits.

In order for retention and recruitment that we'd have a first internship available with 9 credits, not including JOU 2100. This change applies to undergrad program.

MA: Should we consider lowering for grad?

TS: My feeling is not since they can only do one.

### **Undergrad Program**

#### **Grad Program**

MW: ACEJMC requires a permanent faculty member head the graduate programs, so I'm taking over the work David has done, in spite of his tremendous work. But I want to commend the job that David did.

MW: I believe we have the second-highest number of graduate students in the college.

DE: Let's confirm the exact number in two weeks.

### **Community Journalism**

BM: This semester, I feel the students are much more prepared. We have three students working on stories for publication. We may have four if we can find someone available for next Monday.

We're submitting three grants applications -- two with Poynter, one with WUSF. On the third, our students would work

We're looking for space. Need something a bit bigger. Talked to two people at SPC, and they don't seem to have any room (wishing they had built a bigger building).

DE: We will be out of Sanderline by the end of February. So, our goal this semester is to find new off-campus space in midtown.

### **Food Writing and Photography**

JK: We decided to put the Food Conference on hiatus this year and focus on the lecture series. Going forward, we may continue to focus on this approach.

We have over 20 people taking the five-Saturday Sizzling Images source.

DE: What's happening with the development of the minor?

JK: We need to make the Food Writing class permanent and official first.

### **General Education**

DE: We need to have somebody on Gen. Ed. Chris, could you do this?

CC: I'd be happy to.

DE: It'll probably just be through the end of this semester, and then we'll put Monica on it.

### **ANNOUNCEMENTS**

DE: We're going to have declaration of major night. We'll supply a few students who work with other students in Arts and Sciences. We need paraphernalia.