

March 4 2016 Faculty Meeting Minutes

In Attendance:

1. Deni Elliott
2. Mark Walters
3. David Snyder
4. Chris Campbell
5. Casey Frechette
6. Lorien Mattiacci (First Segment)
7. Tony Silvia
8. Casey Peterson
9. Joan Eldridge

Absent:

1. Monica Ancu (Sabbatical)
2. Janet Keeler (Attending Study Abroad Meeting)

LM: On Saturday, April 30, the ONA USFSP student chapter will have a “Data Play Date” -- a chance to teach students about data journalism. Need help from faculty in three ways: Spread the word to your students, help us find speakers and

DE: Are we charging? What’s the capacity?

LM: We can hold 135. I’d love to get 100.

DE: Let’s have a registration setup. Send email to friends of the department. Invite Sophia.

This also connects to the Data Journalism graduate certificate we’re trying to coordinate with the College of Business. If you contact (Interim Dean) Gary Patterson, he can put you in touch with good breakout session people, and it’ll also facilitate our curricular efforts.

MW: SRI down by the Coast Guard. USGS. These are all partnership opportunities.

JE: As an update from APC: Registration is coming up. March 28. We start with grad students, honors students, students with disabilities. Also, those about a 3.75 GPA get first dibs. Then, it’s based on credit hours earned. After the freshmen are done, transfer students can join the fray. First orientation for transfer students is Saturday, April 3.

This is simultaneously summer AND fall registration.

I explain to all MMC 2100 students that they need to email Casey P. and get on the waitlist.

Another reminder is being careful about summer and fall registration numbers. One kind of number only works in one semester, and it can get a bit confusing.

Fall starts with 8 or 9 ... summer with 5 or 6.

MW: What's the status of Mass Comm and Society and Gen Ed?

JE: Not entirely sure ... it was approved by UGC, but we need to see where it's gotten stalled out.

DE: I'll send something to the Dean and Vice Chancellors so we can see where it's gone.

MW: Do we have any software to help with the advising process?

BM: Casey P and Joan and I met and looked at some options, including Google Docs.

JE: I add notes to DegreeWorks, but special training and certification is needed to get into that.

DS: We talked about adding something at the department level as a kind of customer satisfaction survey.

BM: Can we get more information about what's possible in terms of storing and transmitting student information

DE: Here's the form/template for our annual report. Casey F. is working on an electronic system to help us capture this information and feed it into our self study process.

BM: We're at the second phase of our grant proposal for Healthy St. Petersburg. The first step was accepted without conditions. The conversation went really well. It's an investigative journalism project with WUSF focused on access and the social determinants of health -- access to transportation, health care, basic services, etc.

Our NNB students will be working with those journalists. Our students will be working on data entry, etc.

Poynter has asked us to be included.

The grant is for \$350,000. It could even go up a bit. The grant is mostly for hiring the journalists and graduate assistant. It's from the Foundation for Healthy St. Petersburg.

MW: Are there health department representatives involved in this?

BM: We applied with them on other grants that didn't get through ... right now this one is focused on WUSF.

MW: Jocelyn Howard with the county might be a good contact. I think that connection inside the health department would be very good.

DE: What's the timeline?

BM: We have to submit by April 12. That's for the full proposal. The grant would begin in July.

~

TS: The application deadline for the Robert W. Dardenne Award for Humanistic Journalism is later this month -- March 31.

Please sure in your classes and online with your students.

Bernardo and I will be judging submissions, and we welcome a third set of eyes if anyone is interested. We'll do this relatively soon after spring break.

Plan is to give a framable award and cash award.

DE: We need to figure out

DE: Let's clarify what the right channel to disburse the funds might be. We can move forward while we're getting answers.

~

MW: I'm the faculty council representative, and there's an issue that's come up that we should be aware of. There's a movement afoot to dismantle the department of Environmental Science, Policy, & Geography.

The rationale is a strongly-worded memo that outlined the supposed reasons to do this. It's also been argued that there are too few students, lack of collegiality.

Some in the department put together a rebuttal.

DE: Some have called it a toxic environment for faculty and students. This is a long time and coming ... it's been in the works for years.

The administration has determined the dissolution is the best option. The faculty who teach courses that are continue to be taught will find themselves in new departments. The students

There's then a change to reconstitute a department of environmental policy with cross-campus input.

TS: 10 years ago, this was a program of distinction ... it's hard to understand how it's declined so rapidly. Is the union involved?

MW: They're watching... whether they're involved beyond that, I'm not sure.

TS: I don't have a stake in this particular matter... the pressing issue is the precedent. Administrators may say certain things; the collective bargaining agreement might say something else. I'm curious about the implications on tenure. Not to overstate it, but I think they get to the heart of some these broader issues around what tenure is and whether it matters.

DE: As a reminder, departments are new to USFSP... we're the only college that has departments. We've been a department forever, but that makes us unusual. Until 2009, there was our department, and there was programs. Departments were formed based on best-available information by the administration. We may see departments splitting as we continue to grow. We're still trying to figure out departments in general on campus.

DS: I wonder if this might be an end-run around the CBA and union... rather than facing the problem head on.

DE: It's more the combination than the individuals that seems to be problematic. More about a group struggling to work well together.

BM: Is the problem political? Philosophical or personal?

MW: The memo suggested it was partly interpersonal issues.

CP: Faculty vote on resolution to support CAS dissolution of ESP+G as outlined in Dean's memo: 5 Yes, 2 No, 1 abstention.

~

DE: I'll be in Chicago for the next meeting March 19 and 20. The official decision will happen in May.

~

DE: Summer and fall schedules. Take a look...

~

DE: Incoming grads and graduate assistants -- March 15 is our deadline for applications. We'll look at returning GAs, faculty need, and new GA requests.

DE: Send something to Mark if you'd like to request a GA for the next year. And let's find out who's planning to be here and who is interested in an assistantship.

MW: I think it would be best if we could put the new hire into just two rather than three courses in the fall.

~

MW: We have candidates coming in next week to finish up our job search.

DE: In terms of timeline... The search committee will meet next Friday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. Let's get overall thoughts next Thursday afternoon.

11 a.m. teaching 3:30 for research Monday and Wednesday.

~

DE: It looks like we need to remove the course requirement from the LLC initiative so we can move forward with that.

~

CF: *Provides update on syllabus system.*

~

CP: Let's stick to 109 and the lab for the end-of-semester celebration.

~

TS: Good things happening on the internship front. We have two students at Channel 8, and that's going right. We have two graduate students doing internships -- Lorien and Sara Katherine.

There are out-of-town internships that we're also trying to push. One is in LA. The other is the International Radio and TV Arts in Sciences in NYC, with almost all expenses paid.

Face-to-face meetings are about to kick in now.

~

MW: I really want to get started on the name change and combining of the graduate programs. Let's put that on the agenda for the next meeting.

CP: We need to offer comps at the end of this semester for Salem.

DE: Can we do it at the end of April? Has enough content been covered in Theory?

BM: Yes.

CF: I think Laura and Eric are planning to do their projects over the summer.

BM: We had a very successful event last Saturday. At least half will be broadcast by WUSF. We also plan to use the interviews for an upcoming event with an installation of the interviews. I'm talking with Lillian Dunlap about this.

DE: Can we incorporate this into our end-of-year event?

BM: We also have a new home for NNB -- at the Enoch Davis Center. This is a very busy venue with lots of story possibilities given the high level of traffic there.

~

CF: Three committees/initiatives underway: Data journalism: April 30 event. Video journalism -- our students participated in the first-ever USFSP Campus MovieFest. About 45 movies submitted...three students placed in the top 16. Two students place in the top four and will go to Atlanta in June to participate in the national competition. Social media: -- training student journalists led by undergraduate Devin Rodriguez.

~

TS: Casey P and I will get together and ferret out the top 10 percent of our students for induction into KTA.

~

MW: We're working to make sure that our efforts and funding are well aligned. We're earning \$12-15k annual on outside work. We can't use DL equipment for outside contracts, so we have to get other funding for that... it's also used for staffing.

~

TS: Casey P and I will get together and ferret out the top 10 percent of our students for induction into KTA.

~

DS: Ken Burke, Pinellas County Clerk of the Circuit Court and Comptroller, about how to find criminal and civil court information via public records. Presenting on Monday at 9:30 in 107.

