

## April 8 2016 Faculty Meeting Minutes

### *In Attendance*

1. Deni Elliott
2. Mark Walters
3. Chris Campbell
4. Edgardo Dangond
5. Casey Frechette
6. Bernardo Motta
7. Janet Keeler
8. Tony Silvia
9. Casey Peterson
10. Vidisha Priyanka (First Part of Meeting)
11. Joan Eldridge (First Part of Meeting)

*Edgardo and Chris share a new VideoWorks production focusing on student feelings about studying at USFSP.*

### *LANGUAGE PRIMER*

DE: We require students to score 70 percent or better on language primer, and it's administered by Poynter. We're having some issues with the technology.

TS: I talked with Vidisha yesterday afternoon about the issues this semester and read from some student comments. I believe by now just about all students have responded. There are some access concerns; ease of access concerns (navigation and functionality); and overall value (which was on the high side).

VP: I was heartened to hear about the perceived value of the content. We did have a credit card issue because we were migrating servers, and that happened right when a lot of USFSP students were signing up. So, there were some significant registration problems. There was some confusion about the difference between practice drills and final assessments. I can fix this with new navigation. I can also create an instructional video to help students figure this out. We're moving to a new LMS, and that will help in the long term. Summer and fall may still be tricky, but I can come over and walk students through the issues.

DE: I wish there were one exam that our students could take to cover all three areas. But there seems to be something wrong with the randomization part of the program. Is someone also working on this?

VP: Yes, we need a bit of time, but we can address this as well.

JK: 60 questions total would be good. But they also don't seem to be able to see results from the pretest.

VP: That should be available. There may simply need to be checkbox that's turned on.

CF: Are we okay if they score under 70 percent on a subsection of the test, assuming we combine them into one?

DE: I'd be comfortable with that.

TS: What does "the whole" look like is what's most important to me.

~

JE: Scientific Writing has been approved by APC. Additional approval from UGC is needed, but we're moving forward. This would be for catalog year 2017.

Lots of Mass. Comm. students are coming in for advising. Lots of registrations this week and last week are coming in.

JE: It looks like MMC 3602 still isn't showing up as a gen ed class.

MW: I'll follow up with Mark Durand's office and see where we're at.

JE: I've been distributing a lot of adviser forms. There are some sequencing issues that come up here and there -- students who want to take Senior Seminar before NNB, for example. It seems to be driven by students trying to get through the program relatively quickly.

DE: The way that summer schedules have run in the past, we get a share of the profits from the college for anything above and beyond the cost of running the class. It was considered collectively. However, now there will be penalties for any course that falls under the breakeven point.

TS: In other words, we're looking at individual enrollments vs the aggregate number. And it diminishes the pedagogical value of certain low-enrollment but valuable courses.

CF: Plus we have significant pressure from accreditation to cap skills classes at 20.

DE: Accreditation is part of the justification, but it doesn't help with skills classes that are running under that number. We're having follow up meetings to discuss the roll out of the plan and see if we can put it on hold for this summer.

~

BM: Janet and I went to the Research Townhouse Meeting for the System. They have some concerning numbers. We're doing well as a university in publication count and quality of publications. But the research for USFSP isn't recognized. So, there's an effort to bring attention to this. SEJ wants to come to USFSP for their conference in 2019 or 2020. They have about 1300 members. They cover and care about lot of the issues that we're already dealing with on campus. 500 to 1000 journalists come to their conferences.

We'd need about \$150-\$170K to do this (in kind and cash). There may be a way for the system to fund it.

The conferences are usually in October.

DE: Let's start with Jessica and see how to move forward.

BM: We're in the second and final phase of the NNB grant. We have maybe a 50 percent chance to move forward because we're looking at the base information that others need to move on with their applications. This involves embedding students with WUSF journalists. It would cover a summer GA and another for fall and spring.

~

TS: For the Dardenne Award, 8 submissions, 5 undergrad and 3 grad. Based on the criteria, we've selected a graduate student and two undergraduates. Awards will be conferred on April 29 at our end-of-semester gathering.

DE: Time for end-of-year semester? 1-4 p.m.

~

MW: We're planning to combine the grad programs, and that raises a number of questions and issues. There will be a lot of paperwork and committees. One essential question is that each program has its own CIP code. We probably need a third CIP for a new, combined program. We know what we want that to be. We also need to name the program, and we have control over that. Digital Journalism & Multimedia Studies might get at it all.

33 credits.

DE: Everyone, please look at the plan and policy documents for discussion next time.

DE: We need a Faculty Council Member for next year.

JK: I'll do it.

DE: Could you do the Gen Ed Committee too?

JK: Sure.

MW: We have 5 grads coming in -- 3 for DJD, and 2 for JMS. I've spoken with all, and they're all on track. We're looking for money in June/July. We'll have 5 positions.

BM: Two questions on the GA recruiting. Not sure what's going on with the library situation and the grant money they received -- but maybe some of that could finance a GA.

DE: That's great and we can use it as a recruiting tool.

~

DE: Combing research methods and theory... We might want to pick this back up. One upshot is that it would drop us to 33 hours and give everyone a shot at learning research methods.

MW: We can fold this into the overall process around combining the programs.

CP: Travel money: Ends at end of June. We have \$500 for each faculty member. We have spent about \$1000. We have about \$2800 left for travel. We need to use it by the deadline.

~

TS: We have inductees for KTA identified. Four undergraduates, one DJD and one JMS. Inductions are on April 29. A certificate and pen will be issued. They'll be notified next week.

DE: Let's see about covering the \$35 fee for KTA membership from departmental funds so that students don't need to pay themselves.

DE: Think about whom you'd like to nominate as outstanding grading student.

~

TS: We have a nice FAQ about internships. This is a great starting point for students with questions.

~

BM: We've moved to the Enoch Davis Center. We'll have an open house in the fall. We'll have six audio stories on an upcoming Florida Matters show. We have a partnership set up with the Library. They got money to digital *Weekly Challenger* archives. 15 stories have been published this semester, and four

more are in the pipeline. There's also the St. Pete TV deal that could lead to 10 more stories. There's also a potential movie project with David Boston.

~

*CF provides update on ONA Data Conference*

MW: VideoWorks has a website under development -- [videoworks.usfsp.edu](http://videoworks.usfsp.edu). And we're working on raising our profile.

DE: We'll have a back-to-school reception for faculty and grad students at August 21 midday at Deni's.

~

DE: The Spencer Foundation will provide \$75k to fund National Ethics Project work. We're hoping to bring in \$500K a year for five years for this project. Very nice partners to have for this.