

Faculty Meeting Minutes

Nov. 6

In Attendance:

1. Mark Walters
2. Casey Peterson
3. Joan Eldridge
4. Casey Frechette
5. David Snyder
6. Chris Campbell
7. Monica Ancu
8. Bernardo Motta
9. Janet Keeler
10. Tony Silvia

Absent:

1. Deni Elliott (Research Leave)

MW: So, we had looked at changing the prereqs for first internships.

MA: Officially, we cannot make the change.

JE: It's a Tampa prefix and course number, so we can't change in the catalog what it says in terms of a prereq. But we can do what we like here in terms of how we run it. We can change website pages, syllabi, etc.

MA: We have to announce it to our students.

JE: Recommendations on elective courses have passed the UGC committee. We don't want to say anything to undergrads until they changes are completely official.

TS: Moving forward on the Dardenne Award front. We'll have a plaque for the Dardenne award and, when there are suitable awardees in a given year, we'll update it.

~

CF: *Self Study update. Document has been submitted. We're awaiting initial feedback. Want to follow up later about reflections and next steps on some of the tools we developed to pull the self study together.*

~

MW: Benardo, NNB update?

BM: We're looking at relocating the the office. We're looking at going to the Brayboy Business Center, a much better space and more desirable location. Rent may not be that much more overall. Creative Loafing may be interested in sponsoring us, and I'm meeting with them soon.

TS: Is there parking?

BM: Quite a bit of parking, classroom space.

MA: When could it be ready by?

BM: The roof needs to be fixed and it needs paint and to be cleaned up.

MW: Let's make sure we know what the renovation costs would be.

BM: Right now, guest speakers come here because we don't have room at Sanderlin -- we're not using the space that much. We could discontinue now. It seems to be an old contract that we could terminate now.

CP: Have you talked to Drew or Paul in the college? They'll know the details on any possible lease terms.

BM: I'll present the full proposal and budget once I get permission.

MW: Anyone want to make a motion to continue to explore this?

MA: I would.

TS: Second

MW: All in favor?

~

JK: We had about 160 at our first in our food speaker series. So, great attendance. Great start to this series. I'm rethinking thing for the food conference in April, but we have the date, space and speakers.

~

MA: Living Learning Community concept is moving forward. We need to provide events on and off campus, and I'm working with Jake Diaz on that right now. I put together a one-page overview of the purpose, why we're doing this, etc. The purpose is to educate students to be media savvy and technology savvy. The experience is limited to 1 year. The work needs to be finalized by February. Advertising will begin then for incoming freshmen.

JE: We currently have this in biology, green living, leadership. The biggest challenge seems to be keeping the students on campus over the weekend for events.

MA: I'll send material over the next few days and ask for you to review. Let's think about what we would want to expose incoming freshmen to around media literacy, etc.

~

MW: Other business...There's an event for the American Journalism and Historians Association. They are looking for some support for the convention next October. Is that something we want to be involved with?

BM: Given more time, we might be able to collaborate with them on something down the road.

~

MW: Arts on campus initiative. If you know of students, please send them to me so I can help coordinate.

~

DS: For DJD, 13 in the pipeline, and four students who have been admitted and registered for spring. We have 10 in the pipeline for JMS, with one fully admitted and registered. So, overall, things are looking good.

~

JK: I put a work order in with facilities to work on the bulletin board downstairs.

MA: Tomorrow, I'm going to an open house in the morning. There's another on Dec. 5. I need to beautify the display. Anything you have that we can show as great examples of student work -- photography, stories, etc., would be great to have. I'm going to just plan on some fliers for tomorrow.

CP: Jake Diaz scheduled a mandatory Title IX session Dec. 3 at 3:30 p.m.

Tonight is the Midtown "Through Our Eyes" event at Studio 620 as part of the Journeys in Journalism magne program. (5 to 8 p.m.)

I need book orders submitted via the Faculty Enlight system.